1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to make VCD smaller... Help!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Detzel, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Detzel

Detzel Member

I'm using TMPGEnc to convert an .avi movie to VCD to burn it. I don't think my burner is capable of over burning, its just an old creative 8 speed. Anyway the original avi file is 692 MB and the VCD file that TMPGEnc wants to create is 906 MB. The movie is 90 minutes. Is there any possible way to shrink this thing down to 700 MB without totally destroying the quality or chopping it up? I really want to fit this whole thing on one CD if at all possible.

Thanks!

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, i dare say there is a way if you change some settings and maybe crop the film a bit ie lose the credits etc, but the way have done them in the past was with the version of tmpg that had the wizards, usually i dont like wizards because you miss what is happening in the background, but with the one in tmpeg, after you have specified the range you can tell it how much of the cd to use. So tell it you have an 80min cd and tell it to use 100% of it. It will alter the bitrate and create a file perfect in size to be burnt with nero. You will lose a bit of quality due to the bitrate drop, but mine are usually watchable. My friend is here now saying you cant do that with vcd in tmpeg only svcd!! i only really do svcd so im not sure, if your player plays svcd you wlil be ok doing this but if it HAS to be vcd then maybe you wil have to alter settings. Vague answer i know, maybe someone knows an easy way. anyone???
    Hope it helps

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

kvcd is an option, 120 minutes on an 80min cd-r, its non standard vcd though so if it doesnt play back properly dont be surprised!

4. Detzel

Detzel Member

Yeah, that doesn't work in TMPGEnc with regular VCD, only SVCD.

So what is this kVCD? Where do I get it? Is the quality decent if it does play? thanks.

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

http://www.kvcd.net

Basically its 2-pass vbr on vcd which is non standard, the quality can be just as high though!