1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 is Splitting up my MPEG's in Edit Movie Mode of Things I record off TV

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jtny, Jun 7, 2007.

1. jtny

jtny Member

I have a Samsung DVD-R155 DVD Recorder, WinXP and the latest version of Nero 7. It seems to me that only when I record a show that has commercials and want to transfer it to nero vision as an MPEG to edit them out, once I click "Edit Movie" it chops the video up into several different files all cut up close to when the commercials start and end automatically (But not exactly on the money).

It's making it a pain to edit the way I want and not only that but when I decide to just make it the way Nero is forcing me to, It won't burn and I get an error message. I tried using different blank media and I get almost the exact same results in the same spots.

So I tried recording a show with no commercial.. Like PBS or something on HBO or OnDemand as a test and it leaves the file as one when I click edit.

Is this some form of protection? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I get the same results, Nero doesn't give me a message saying it can't copy it to my HDD so I don't think it's protected. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Also Nero is NOT set on any sort of automatic setting that would cause this. Thank You

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Are you sure your DVD recorder doesn't have an ad skip feature. If so, it may be marking the ads and segmenting the video. If it has that feature, see if it can be turned off.

You need to use the join feature in Nerovision to join the video segments into a single file.

3. jtny

jtny Member

Well now that I think about it. It does have a commercial skip feature. But I dont think it can be shut off because I would have shut it off. I'm having trouble finding this "join" feature in nero vision. Can you give me a hint to where it may be? Thank you for your help so far.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

On the left of where all the video titles are listed in Nerovision, there are 5 icons. At the top left are up and down arrows to rearrange the position of the titles. At the lower left are three icons. The middle icon is the "merge" icon. Select the titles to be merged and then click the merge icon.

5. jtny

jtny Member

oh ok I found what you're talking about but the video is actually only 1 file. So when I load it into Nerovision it stays 1 file untill I click "Edit Movie" then it gets all split up in the storyboard window.

I get what you were thinking but it's still just one file in that particular first loading window. So there is really nothing to merge. It only shows it split up in the "edit" option. "Merge" is gray'd out because it's only 1 video. I can't even use it as an option.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Well then, I don't know what's going on. I know I've never encountered a situation where Nerovision segmented a single video file automatically. It seems like it must be something your recorder is doing that Nerovision is processing in edit mode. I'll try to research your recorder when I get a chance and see what I can find out. Later.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Looked at the owner's manual for the recorder. Try setting your commercial skip time to 0 sec. Instructions are on page 26 of the owners manual. I don't know if it'll solve your issue or not but it's worth a try I suppose. You might also set the chaper marker to 0 sec. as well. The manual says the skip mode doesn't work for +R and +RW disks so if you're using them, it's obviously not that feature causing the problem for you.

8. jtny

jtny Member

Well.. I think I'll hold off because I have the video on the DVR for now.. I am only using this Garbage DVDR-155 while my DVD-VR320 is being repaired. That one gave me zero problems.

And one other thing I can't figure out with BOTH dvd recorders is that even when I set auto chapter mode to OFF they still both make chapters every 5 minutes. Any Ideas?

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It seems like all DVD recorders have a default 5 minute chapter marker for who knows what reason. I can't even turn the feature off on mine, although its about 4 years old now. I don't mind it because if I reauthor with TMPGEnc Author I just eliminate all the markers and add my own where I want them. I thnk you can do the same in Nero. I just don't like Nero's editing features very much so I don't use it for that purpose.

10. jtny

jtny Member

Yea I hate that chapter default. These new DVD recorders are garbage because you can't record off the HDMI cable. They block out everything. I can't wait till I get my old one back from repair.

And usually lately I'm just recoding anything I wanna keep to Nero Digital Mp4. I have too many DVD's piling up. Even then, Mp4's keep your chapters. You got AIM or anything dude?

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

No I don't.

I can't use Nero Recode's MP4 because my DVD/divx player won't accept it. Nero uses a slightly different/nonstandard codec. Plays back fine on the PC and provides most excellent quality and encodes fast but breaks the divx player. I use either Dr Divx or the VirtualDub xvid codec usually for archiving.