1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Backup (Restore) Doesn't See Files It Created

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bazilla, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I've been using Nero Backup to backup some files to dvd. I just now have had occasion to try to restore from one, and Nero Backup/Restore application does see any files on the dvd. I've checked everyone I've, and their all same.

Oddly, when I place one of these dvd's in the dvd drive, the icon in "My Computer" changes from "dvd" to "cd" and it says "Total Size 0" and "Free Space 0". So the OS (XP with SP2) is seeing something. But not something that it can read correctly.

I had Nero Backup do a verify on all of these, so I'm pretty sure it did the writing correctly. But there's something about the OS, or the application software, that is keeping it from reading the dvd correctly.

I even have a "dvd data disk" I created with Nero that cannot be read by the OS. It too is seen as a CD of "Total Size 0" and "Free Space 0" by the OS.

Any help getting to bottom of this will be appreciated.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Quick followup to my own question.

Another detail that may prove significant. All of the dvd's in question are dvd+r's. And the dvd writer is a Sony 710 DRUA.

I just made a quick "data dvd" to a dvd-r, and it worked like a charm. Next up is a test backup to a dvd-r.

If this proves to be the problem, why would backups and data disks work with dvd-r, but not dvd+r? FWIW, dvd movies burn to dvd+r on my system just fine.

Edit: the backup to dvd-r worked like it should.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. hondo7

hondo7 Member

Go to cdrlabs.com and do a search of nero backups there. there is a lot of discussion on how to fix alot of problems with nero backup...

Good luck

kevin