1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero has taken over my hard drive...help

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jbgknight, Nov 22, 2002.

1. jbgknight

jbgknight Member

Ok gents,

I'm a total neophyte with regard to burning, but I know enough that to come here and ask some questions.

My little brother basically downloaded Nero on my brand new 40 GB 1.4 Ghz, Pent IV HP desktop and proceeded to burn around 70 audio cd's using image files. As a result, my hard drive is chock-full to the brim (only 2 GB left). Ok, so I just delete the image files and problem is taken care of right? Apparently, it's not that easy...

My little bro had no idea where he specified on the hard drive to save the image files, so I'm assuming it was the default location (which I'm still not sure where that is).

I looked at the Nero material on the web, and I found a location for caching in 'Preferences', but this didn't hold anything...ok, I thought I could work around the problem by doing a file search (including hidden and system files) for .nrg files on the hard drive - nothing comes up!!

I have no idea where these files are being stored and i've got to get this stuff off my hard drive!

I know there is a ridiculously simple answer to this question, so forgive me if this is all so...simple!

jk

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

It's usually in the Windows/TEMP dir. for the default, but if that was changed then you should know b/c it has to be manually done.

Otherwise you can use the "find" command to look for an image name you know or from it's date.

3. jbgknight

jbgknight Member

Thanks for following up, but that was one of the first things I checked. My little brother must have manually changed the location, but he said if he did, he would have specified the 'My Music' folder on the hard drive - nothing there either.

What's strange is that I've done a tally on all the folders in my hard drive, including system and hidden files, and they only add up to ~17 Gigs, but when I check properties of the C: drive, shows only 2 Gigs available out of 40.

I even did a search for files larger than 15 MB on the entire drive, and no image files came up. Is there some other extension that the files could have been saved as?? I was assuming that audio image fiels were saved as .nrg's in Nero. This is really weird...searching by date has revealed nothing either. My OS is XP Pro.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  4. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

You're right in that Nero saves the image files as "*.nrg"

I don't completely trust what windows tells me in terms of how much space I have left. I'm using Win98SE so it may be different for you.

When I use Norton Speeddisk to defrag my harddrive, occasionally it will say that Windows is reporting the incorrect amount of drive space I have left.

Well if you're unsure of where the files are being stored, try creating another image with a name you know and note the time. Then you can try a search for it.

Also try looking at the preferences in Nero again.

There is a chance the default folder is under the Nero program folder as well.