1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero help burning DVD Rip SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Plotkin35, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Plotkin35

Plotkin35 Guest

Hello,

I am new to this board but have read several of the boards and could not find this answer. I have downloaded a DVD Rip of a movie and it is listed as DVD Rip SVCD, so I was trying to burn it to SVCD using Nero. This is the first DVD Rip I have tried to burn, all other movies I have tried in the SVCD format work fine. So I go to file, burn image and load the cue for the first disc and hit burn. It goes thru the whole burning process as normal, but it ejects the disc upon finishing (not normal). So I go and try and play the disc in my DVD player and is says no data. I put it back into my computer and it says blank disc or no disc in drive.

Now I do usually get a message when I hit burn now that says can not burn in mulitsession or turn off DAO, and I always hit turn off multisession, because I want to have the disc closed. And it has worked on every other movie I have done. Any reason why this would happen now? Is it because it is a DVD rip? It is still in SVCD format. I just can't figure out why no data is being written to the disc.

Thanks,
    Plotkin

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Tools you'll need:
    1. SmartRipper 2.41 or later, if needed
    2. DVD2SVCD 1.1.0 Build 1 or later ( d/l from http://www.dvd2svcd.org/ )
    3. Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50 ONLY.
    4. VCDEasy 1.1.2 or later
    ===============================================
    1. Run DVD2SVCD. It may complain it cannot find CCE, so click the Encoder tab and then browse your HD for CCE (cctsp.exe) depending on where you installed it. This will happen 1st time it is run only.

2. Click the Conversion tab, and load in the IFO file of the DVD you have ripped to your HD. It will indicate its length and select the correct Aspect ratio mode and mark the first English Audio track. There is no Cut or Trim features here. I do not recommend ticking NTSC to PAL box unless you like jerky movies.

3. Click the Misc. tab, then Default Output folder to select the Output folder where you want all the files to go. Leave Dont Delete any Files ticked (not important if you dont) as sometimes you can recover an interupted encode, etc. Change DVD2SVD Level to Advanced.

4. Click on Finalize Tab, there is nothing in here to change.

5. Click the CDImage tab. If you dont want any fancy Chapters or Title pictures, etc, just click Dont Make Images and you will end up with 2-3 MPG files ready to burn with Nero. If you do want to include Chapter and/or Title Pictures, then select VCDXBuild. The default ChangeCD pic is excellent. If you click on Movie info (IMDB), it will extract all the movie data (Directors, actors, etc) and the DVD front picture from www.imdb.com for inclusion on the CD. For Fixed Chapters, select a number in seconds that you want each chapter point to be set to. I use 240 (4 min.) so I get about 10-12 per CD. For DVD Chapters, you need to rip the DVD with the internal ripper.

5. Click the Subtitles tab. If you want to include subtitles, tick the Rip Subtitles box and select either Permanent Sub titles or SVCD Subtitles (this allows them to be selectable on your DVD Player if it has this feature). In Subtitle Lang. 1 pick the language you want. It must have been on the DVD originally. When you start the conversion, it will ask you then to select the correct Subtitle track from those available.

6. Click the bbMPEG Tab, there is nothing to change except maybe the CD overlap in Seconds. Change to suit your own preferences.

7. Click the DVD Rip Tab and untick the Activate DVD ripping option if you have ripped the DVD to HD with SmartRipper, or tick if you wish to use the internal ripper.

8. Click the DVD2AVI Tab, nothing to change in here. Make sure NTSC Field Operation is set to Automatic.

9. Click the Audio Tab and click on Audio 2 Priority if your including a second audio track. Leave Audio downsample 48 -> 44.1 ticked as this makes a fully compliant SVCD. However, leaving it unticked will produce a better quality Audio playback, but if you burn the MPG file with Nero it will say its non-compliant and you will have to turn compliance off. All DVD Players (and now 99% of PC's) can play 48kHz audio. Change Audio Bitrate from the default 192bps if you wish but the higher it is, the lower the Video bitrate is used to fit it onto the CD's.

10. Click the Frameserver tab and select Resize Method to be Bicubic Resize. Make sure Resize is set to SVCD ('cause thats what we are making folks!). At the end of the MPEG2Dec line, click the small [...] button and from the ..\DVD2SVCD\MPEG2Dec folder, select MPEG2DEC2.dll This can solve some decoding issues and I find it faster as well (only needs to done the first time you run DVD2SVCD).

11. Click the Bitrate tab to see the number of CD's and their size for the movies length. Leave these at default initially, just un-select Min Avg if its ticked. DVD2SVCD calculates the bitrate automatically for you to just fit onto your CDR's. But I would suggest you change all the 740 to 800 and use ONLY 80min CDR's.

12. Click the Encoder tab and make sure Cimema Craft Encoder is selected (and not TMPGEnc). Multipass VBR should be set at 3 or 4, remembering 4 takes 33% longer to encode than a 3 pass. If time is not an issue select 4, else select 3. There is very little quality defference between a 3 or 4 pass SVCD. Click on the Advanced button and un-select all MPEG2 Video Settings as most DVD's (well 99% of PAL) are not interlaced. If you are encoding a small 43min episode to fit to one 80min CD, then I would suggest ticking CBR instead of VBR 3 pass, as encoding time will be dramitically reduced and quality basically the same. Give it a try and compare. But if you have a 120min movie and trying to fit to 2 CD's, stay with VBR, or better still change to 3 CD's for a substantial improved quality SVCD.

13. All is now setup and we are ready to begin the encodeing. If you intend to be doing a few movies, all the setup above needs to be done once and will remain set to the same settings next time you run DVD2SVCD. Next time you will only need to load the IFO in, set folder to save to and change CDImage info.

14. Click the Conversion tab again and if all is ready, click the GO button. Click Start Conversion then confirm with OK. If you have selected Subtitles, it will now ask you to select the actual one from the VOB file list.

15. Go to sleep, work or school as this process may take a long time. On a P700 it can take over 24hrs with a 4pass VBR encode! On an Athlon 1800, most movies convert 3pass VBR in 5-7 hours.

16. When finished you will have in the default folder you selected, about 20-30+ files. There will be 2-3 MPG files like bbMPEG_Muxed_File00.mpg if you did not make an image. You will have 2-3 BIN & CUE files like CD_Image_File_CD1.bin if you did.

17. Play them with WinDVD (or your favorite SVCD player software, I dont recommend Windows Media Player) to check them for lip sync near start and finish of each file and any other problem. If your made an Image file, load it into Daemon Tools CD Image and run the MPG file from there.

18. You have now made your first SVCD files and all thats left is to burn them.

Step 4: Burning.

1. Run VCDEasy and we need to set it up for your burner. Click on Settings icon then CDRDAO tab. Locate your CD writer, then select the Write Speed to be 4x maximum for older 8x or 12x burners. Select 8x or 12x for late model 24x or faster burners. For Force Driver, if your burner is not in the short list, select generic-mmc. Change the other settings if you wish. This only needs to be done the first time you run VCDEasy.

2. a) If you made MPG files, run VCDEasy and in Main tab, set VideoCD Type to SVCD 1.0. Select your CD Writer if it is not selected and then enter a Volume Label. Spaces are automatically entered as an "_" underscore. Now click on Add Files button and load in the bbMPEG_Muxed_File00.mpg file for your first CD. It will check through the file for SVCD compliance.

b) While you can make Chapters, etc automatically in DVD2SVCD if you make images, you can also make them manually here if you wish. If not, just jump to section 2.e)

c) To add chapters, click Chapters tab and select Create 10 equidistant chapters and click the OK button next to it. All done. Change the 10 to a number that suits your needs but 10 makes a chapter about every 3 to 5 min. apart.

d) If you want to include Change CD pics, etc. the one that comes with DVD2SVCD is excellent (DefaultChangeCD.bmp). Click on Tools icon and goto MPEG Stills tab. Load in the Pic file, select MPEG Still type as SVCD and select PAL or NTSC depending on what your burning, and set to High. Then click the Generate button. Again, you only need to do this once and the resultant MPG file you can now save somewhere on your HD for future use. Back in the Main tab where you loaded the MPG file in, do the same now for the Change CD pic (move to be after the main MPG movie file) and any initial pic file, like the DVD cover your downloaded from _www.imdb.com, (move to be before the main MPG movie file). In the Interactivity tab, set the Change CD pic to Wait Infinite.

e) If all is now set up, make sure the small Burn box at top of Main tab page is ticked, then hit the GO button. Sit back and watch your first SVCD disk being burnt.

3. If you made BIN & CUE files, run VCDEasy and select Tools Icon, then CDRDAO Tools tab. In the Burn a CUE or TOC CD Image window, locate your CUE file, un-tick Simulate (if you don't want to do a test run first - be daring!), put a blank CDR into your burner and hit the Burn button, sit back and watch your first SVCD disk being burnt.

4. The excitement builds! When the burning is finished, shut down VCDEasy, label the CD with a felt pen and rush to your DVD player to check it out. If all is okay, repeat this for the second or third disks.

5. You can now safely delete all the files created by DVD2SVCD and delete the DVD VOB files as well.

6. Use only good quality scratch resistant CDR's. Some DVD stand alone players will only read from CDRW's, then burn to CDRW's instead. Burning at greater then 4x or 8x speed can also make them unreadable by many players, particularly the latter part of the CD. Many DVD stand alone units have problems playing SVCD movies altogether, even though the book indicates it can and many will jump and stutter if the bitrate is to high or to low. These problems are not with the SVCD you just made, they are all related to the brand and model of your DVD Player. The SVCD's will play fine on a PC however.

[bold] Note: You can use a new DVD2SVCD plug-in called D2SRoBa 2.44 that will encode your dvd rips to svcd (using CCE) much faster! [/bold]
    D2SRoBa:http://home.no.net/tylo/
    Helpful thread:http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/40281

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  3. Plotkin35

Plotkin35 Guest

No see, I already have the bin/cue files, my problem is the burn says successful, but when I go to play the movie in my DVD player, it is saying no data on disc. The file I downloaded is a DVDRip SVCD, so the cue is there I use Nero, Burn IMage as normal and select the cue I want to burn. But like I said it goes thru the process and says successful, but it kicks my disk out upon completion. When I have burned other successful SVCD's in the past, they have stayed in the burner until I hit discard or eject. So I don't know what is up. This has now happened to me on 2 different DvDRip SVCD downloads I have.

Thanks,
    Plotkin

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Use Alcohol 120% to burn and dopnt forget to change datatype to Video CD!

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Why use Alcohol 120% when burnatonce is a freebie? burnatonce will get the job done m8. Simply donwload&install burnatonce, enable overburn& load the cue and burn at 8x.

burnatonce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)

6. Plotkin35

Plotkin35 Guest

Nope, w/ Alcohol it still didn't work and I changed to Video CD as you stated. Smae problem makes the disc and says successful. THen it ejects the disc. On succesful disc's before I have never had the CD eject.

HELP!!!
    Plot

7. Dela

Where did the bin/cue come from?

8. Plotkin35

Plotkin35 Guest

They came from Super Nova. SOmeone else I know has the same one's and they worked fine for hom. I won't say whatm ovies as I know that is against forum rulez. Any ideas?

Plot

9. Dela

ok hmm, where do u live in the world?? could be just your dvd player!

10. Plotkin35

Plotkin35 Guest

Dela,

I live in the US. This has happened now on two seperate movies in the DVDRip SVCD format that I have downloaded. I don't know what else to try here. I may just try and redownload the movies and see if that works. Maybe they got corrupted in the transmission somewhere.

Unless you can think of anything else to try.

Plotkin

11. Dela

Does your dvd player play back PAL format movies correctly?