1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero problem; I get "illegal operation" when I try to burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by handyloon, Mar 6, 2003.

1. handyloon

handyloon Member

Running W98. Finally got the Nero disc came with my 48x16x48 Cendyne drive to install. Now it gives me the fatal "illegal operation" screen (wish my PopUp Killer could kill that!) and shuts down mid-process, after I load files to burn onto the template, but before I can start the burning. I tried Roxio and it worked to burn one song, but I think the 30 days is up, can't even find it on my system anymore to use, or uninstall/delete it. I disabled virus protection, and did a safe mode defrag, to no avail. Inadvertantly upgraded to Window Media Player 9 and Real Player 6 the other day, could that be messing it up What other programs could screw it up? Thanks for any help/emails!

2. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

When it gives you an option to save the log file, saveit, open it with note pad, copy and paste to forum, so we can give you a better idea of whats wrong. Thanks

3. commwiz

commwiz Guest

Assuming that your PC wasn't crashing before you installed the drive and software, many of these software problems are fixed by un-installing then re-installing the software. In your case the nero software. Also, make sure that all of your ide drive jumpers are set correctly to master and slave on each cable, and that they're recognized in the BIOS (the screen that you can access during startup usually by hitting delete shows the BIOS settings).

4. handyloon

handyloon Member

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm not sure what it means to set my "ide drive jumpers" but I only have the one CD-RW drive, if that makes it easier. My PC wasn't crashing before the install, though I've taken to shutting it down at night, as sometimes it freezes up in the night, so I have to pull the plug to restart. I was able to burn one song onto a CD using Roxio that I pulled off the web; I thought Roxio might be bundled with my new Win Media Player 9, but that "illegal operation"s me as soon as I click on it, before its first screen even comes up. I've tried three uninstalls/reinstalls/restarts of Nero; now it "illegal operation"s me right after I click the "copy entire disk" icon.

If by "logfile" you mean the message associated with the "illegal operation" notice, here's what it said:

NERO caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    Registers:
    EAX=01fe3aef CS=017f EIP=bff7b9f5 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=059cff78 SS=0187 ESP=058d0000 EBP=058d0024
    ECX=01fe3aef DS=0187 ESI=00000001 FS=198f
    EDX=00000001 ES=0187 EDI=81950650 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    56 57 89 65 e8 75 04 33 c0 eb 54 85 c0 74 4b c7
    Stack dump:
    059cff78 01fe3aef 00000001 059cff78 01fe3aef 058d1df8 bffc05b4 bff79250 ffffffff 058d1e08 bff7ce23 01fe3aef 00000001 01fe59a4 01fe3aef 058d1e30

I really appreciate your insights and help, thanks!

5. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

What he means by the jumpers on the back of your IDE drives is this: If the CD-burner is set on the top part of the cable it should be set to master, and if its inbetween the open connecter and the motherboard connecter it should be set to slave. This can be done by shorting (moving) the plastic cap thats on the back of your burner by the IDE connecter. It should have labels on it (MAS SLA and CBL) CBL is cable select, but usually people don't do that. Having said that, I don't believe its your IDE Cables, but it could be. It sounds like your burning program is doing something illegal with your system (Probably trying to write to a file that shouldn't be written to in W98 or it is using too much ram or something). I would suggest downloading a different burning software package, or upgrading your OS. If all you're trying to do is make 1:1 copies of your CD, alcohol 120 is a great program. Otherwise I would search the net for a simple CD burning program (there are lots out there, most prefer CDWin). Also if you upgrade to XP the OS has built in CD-Burning functions (I would recommend that, I'm using the first version of XP and its a POS). Anyway, post back to see whats up.

j2huggar

6. commwiz

commwiz Guest

I'd agree with J2Huggar it's probably software; that your message was a crash in Kernel32 and not in an application program such as nero (the msg would have referenced nero32.exe or something like that). Again, I'd first try to uninstall nero, reboot and then reinstall. Next I'd reinstall Windows right from the CD (you won't lose your data, programs, or settings) though I'd still back up data (usually in My Documents Folder) and maybe any photos or downloads.

7. handyloon

handyloon Member

Hi, After several installs and uninstalls, I've pretty much given up on Nero. I've begun trying to figure out how to burn with the Roxio that's part of Windows Media Player 9. There's a lot of unnec. stuff in there, but I'm muddling through and was able to copy/burn a couple of discs already. Thanks again.