1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision 4 "Buffer Overflow" - pulling my hair out - please help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by dlevens, May 8, 2006.

1. dlevens

dlevens Member

I have been using nero vision 4 from nero 7 for awhile with no issues. About 2 days ago I started getting this error:

Bascially what I am trying to do is convert downloaded episodes of Lost to DVD. I have done so successfully with all of season 1 and now all of season 2 up till episode 10.

First I tried an older episode that I know worked before and it fails as well. I even tried just transcoding to hard drive but the error happens about 80% of the way through the transcoding process.

Here is a copy of my nero log
    So far I have uninstalled all of nero, ran all the clean tools from nero, removed k-lite codec pack and reinstalled nero manually. Nothing I do seems to fix this.

I cannot pinpoint any recent changes that might be causing this.

Any insight on what could be the cause? OR another program that can transcode divx and xvid to DVD and work with 16:9 format and keep the 5.1 sound?

Dennis

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

This version of Nero7 contained a few bugs and has now been updated to 7.2.0.3b, so I would try for the update.

The latest firmware is available here

http://www.piodata.com/taiwan/downloads/DVR108DX_FW118EU.EXE

Try these 2 updates and see how it goes, good luck.

3. dlevens

dlevens Member

Thanks for the suggestions but I am already on 7.2.0.3b I ran my install using this installer "Nero-7.2.0.3b_eng_no_yt.exe"

And I am actually on the latest firmware 1.20, your link is the older 1.18. Plus I took the burner out of the picture by trying to transcode to hard drive instead of straight to DVD. I get the same error even when not using the DVD burner at all.

What would cause nero to give the error it shows in the log?
    Do you know of another program that will do the same thing as nero vision, meaning transcode from divx or xvid and maintain 16:9, support 5.1 sound and do this all with a drag and drop and burn approach?

Dennis

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

A new program by VSO called ConvertX should work , however the trial version leaves a watermark at the top.

Your log indicates you are STILL using 7.2.0.3.

5. dlevens

dlevens Member

Downloading VSO ConvertXtoDVD now. Also will re download from the nero 7 update page a new 7.2.0.3b. Are you sure the b shows in the nero logs? I know I installed 7.2.0.3b. Also my nero vision version is the latest acording to the nero version page. I am running Nero Vision 4.5.0.15.

So there has to be something else causing this. Hoping the VSO software is actually better than nero. Up until a few days ago I was happy with the ease and quality of nero vision.

Dennis

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Yes absolutely certain that the b shows in the log, if you have that version. Nero Vision is a great program and one that I use almost exclusively.
    ConvertX is also an excellent prog and also has a burning engine like Nero...excellent for AVI and DivX files.

7. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Have you tried encoding using the 2 pass method and maybe changing some other settings?

You might also try just exporting the file and then using that to burn.

Sorry, the b doesn't show up in my log either. It might depend on which country you are in.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  8. dlevens

dlevens Member

I have tried both 1 and 2 pass and both give the same error. I have also tried exporting. The error comes before the burning process even starts. It happens at 80% into the transcoding.

Dennis

9. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Have you narrowed it down to one particular type file? Do you have any other large files that will burn successfully? You can get the specifics about the file if you use recode to check it, or if you NeroVision 4, you can hold a mouse over it in the editing window to see how the file was encoded. Maybe something about the resolution or Frame rate or something else would help.

Have you tried non-HDTV files? I'm not a programmer, but does buffer overflow mean it is getting more information than it can process?

You might try just using stereo audio instead of 5.1.

The information below is for buffer underruns, but you may see something you could check.

# For Nero Burning ROM:
    Go to Nero's 'File > Preferences > Ultrabuffer' and increase the buffer.
    For Nero Express:
    Go to ‘Configure > Ultrabuffer’ and increase the buffer.
    # Run "ScanDisc" and "Defrag" on your hard drive. This minimizes the possibility of "Buffer Underrun" errors.

I guess finally, is anything starting that might effect your encoding, like a screen saver or power saver which kicks in 80 minutes after no action.

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

It's been my experience when reading log files it will show the version of Nero you are using...INCLUDING the letter after the version number, hence latest version [bold]7.2.0.3b[/bold] SHOULD be shown if using LATEST version of Nero7

Did you try ConvertX and if so what results did you get.

11. dlevens

dlevens Member

I believe I have atleast narrowed this down. It is not the file as every episode that worked before fails now. The problem seems to be when I only do one Lost episode. If I do both and set the settings to auto fit then it works fine. If I do one then the autofit sets the show to a quality that seems to blow up nero. I am in the process of trying to replicate the exact condition. If I do one file and choose the highest quality it give me the error around 80%, I am trying standard setting now.

As far as the 7.2.0.3b issue, I think you are mistaken. I re downloaded right from nero 7.2.0.3b and again it only shows 7.2.0.3 in the logs. Shoe me one of your log files that has the b. I dont think you will see it. In any case that is pointless, as the version of nerovision I am using is the latest version.

I did download VSO ConvertXtoDVD and it worked flawlessly, I have yet to test the DVD in my player to compare quality to nerovision when it worked. I will do that tonight. One thing I did notice is that the VSO ConvertXtoDVD did its work in half the time. It did two lost shows from beginning to end and burned in 1 hour 20 min where nero vision would take about 3 and half hours. And I set VSO ConvertXtoDVD to its highest and slowest quality setting. Do you know if the highest setting in VSO ConvertXtoDVD is 2 pass?

So once I figure out exactly how to blow up nero I will post back. It seems it is related to quality setting. For all the DVDs so far I always did 2 Lost shows, each 700mb avi files each which would fill the DVD to the brim. But doing one show I was see 2.5gb in size and nero does not like that for some odd reason. More to come

Dennis

12. erroneous

erroneous Guest

I have a VERY similar problem as this when importing captured video from a camcorder and a vcr. I posted it here too and what I finally figured out that it was one specific portion of video that freaked out NERO becaause it would always happen in the same place. Other clips would be fine no problems. My solution was to recapture the video and viola problem gone.
    Maybey you can "obtain" a different clip of the same material? I also will see if I can find my post with my log error....

13. erroneous

erroneous Guest

14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

[bold]As far as the 7.2.0.3b issue, I think you are mistaken[/bold]

Windows XP 5.1
    IA32
    WinAspi: File 'Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=4.70, size=45056 bytes, created 12/11/2001 3:31:26 PM
    ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 11/2/2004 1:54:32 PM

NT-SPTI used
    Nero Version: 7.2.0.3b
    Internal Version: 7, 2, 0, 3b
    Happy now??

@erroneous, you were NOT using Nero7, but Nero6 so you cannot compare.

15. dlevens

dlevens Member

Gwendolin, you know you just typed that b in :) j/k, I DO believe you, it just makes no sense. I have downloaded and reinstalled twice now from nero, they either killed the b from the log or I am going crazy.

In any case it was the choice in transcoding quality setting. Standard works fine. I reproduced the error on another computer with another video file, so that rules out a ton of things.

Definately a bug in nero.

When I choose standard quality it burns fine, both to dvd and to hard drive. But if I choose automatic or high quality (the same thing really) since this is only one 40 min video. So automatic in this case is high quality.

Moving on to ConvertXtoDVD, sick of nero for now.

Dennis

16. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I will ask you to do something for me thanks. Uninstall your version of Nero, run this clean tool
    http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html

and then install version 7.0.8.2( which is known to be bug free) from here
    http://www.filehippo.com click on Nero 7.2.0.3 and then select 7.0.8.2 for a bug free version

and try the exercise again using 7.0.8.2 then if it doesnt work scrap your Nero, Cheers.

The number of logs I have done in recent days ALL are from 7.2.0.3

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  17. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Has anyone ever used the manual setting on the UltraBuffer to fix a problem of buffer overflow or under runs?

18. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Saltgrass, I have been doing log files for quite some time now and I have only struck 2 "buffer overflow" problems and BOTH were caused when using Neros latest version 7.2.0.3...as far as I can see it's something unique to this particular version, that is why I asked dlevens to switch back to 7.0.8.2.
    I recommended it to the other member, he did so and solved the problem. Unfortunately every time Nero brings out an update it contains some new bugs hence our recommendation to stick with the tried and proven bug free version of 7.0.8.2.

19. dlevens

dlevens Member

I finished testing. Here is what I found.

Nero 7.2.0.3 / 7.2.0.3b
    in every test using 1 avi file 40 min with the following settings failed everytime:

Doing the same test using nero 7.0.8.2 with the same settings it worked fine

Another interesting bit is I tried custom instead of automatic or high qualtiy. When I did custom I did a bit rate of 7000 and it worked fine for both versions of nero.

So in summary. 7.2.0.3b only worked on Standard quality and custom 7000. When I tried automatic or high qualtiy I would get the buffer error.

With version 7.0.8.2 it worked on all settings I have tried so far.

Here is a copy of all my logs
    http://webpages.charter.net/dlevens/nero/

Dennis

20. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I am glad that you perseveered and tried 7.0.8.2 and was successful, it's baffling as to why Nero keeps on doing this, putting out newer versions without ironing out the bugs. I will attempt to contact Nero to see if they have any explanations, but I doubt it, they never admit to having made errors.
    If I have any luck with them I will report back, in the meantime I hope you have continued success using 7.0.8.2

Only having the "standard" option is very much limited.
    Cheers and thanks for your response.