1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision is saying my files are bigger than they are

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by gooner59, Mar 7, 2007.

1. gooner59

gooner59 Member

Hi

I realise there is a help guide posted here but I am a newbie and would appreciate a little help

I have various sets of video files I want to convert to DVD. Some are avi some mpeg 4 and I am keeping formats separate when I compile DVD

All my files are approx 450 Mb but when I use the add file part of the process in Nerovision 4 (part of newest Nero 7 suite) to start the meter says 2.4 Gb filled after only 1 file? and once I have added 2 450 Mb files it says DVD is full

I guess I am missing something simple

Any guidance would be appreciated
    Regards

Craig

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

AVIs and MP4s are in mpeg4 (divx or xvid) format. DVDs are in mpeg2 format. In converting from mpeg4 to mpeg2 format, file sizes will increase by about 3 1/2 times. This is just the difference in formats. Mpeg4 is a highly compressed format. Many people get around this by purchasing DVD players that also play divx (mpeg4) as well as the standard mpeg2 DVD format. If you have one of those players, you just burn your AVIs and MP4s as data files.

3. MHguitar

MHguitar Member

Quick question- If you can just copy the data file to a blank dvd to play on a divx compatible player, do you need to change the filename extension on thos data files or will the AVI/mpeg extension be understood by trhe player. Just curious as I have a Divx compatible player, and have not figureed out how to use that feature yet(Aside from knowing I can download the rental limited use Divx movies which I have no interest in). I don't need a special encoder - I noticed Nero Vision 4 doesn't show Divx as an exporting format in their software.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I've never changed the extensions for my player. I just insert the disk and get a list/menu of the titles on the disk available to choose to play. My player does strange things to the menu titles so if I have a disk of TV episodes I just have to remember to name them S01E01, etc. There are also ways to create more elaborite menus of divx files if your player supports it. Not all divx compliant players play all varieties of divx files. Sometimes there are downloadable firmware updates available to add functionality.

Nero Recode has an mp4 feature. I believe it uses xvid but that's just off the top of my head. I have no idea whether it produces files other players can play back.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  5. MHguitar

MHguitar Member

So recoded my files into Mp4 with Nero Recode, but looking at my specs on my standalone DVD player with Divx playback it says that it plays Mpeg-4/DivXR but only in AVI, DIV and Divx file format - Not MP4 so I am screwed. So can I just rename my MP4 file etxtension or do I need to now go out and find another converter since Nero Recode doesn't do AVI. This stuff is way to confusing

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I don't think changing the extension will work but you can try. Nero Recode from what I've read produces a somewhat nonstandard file.

DrDivx is what quite a few use to convert mpeg2 to divx.

Your player plays back the AVI files without any problems, doesn't it?

What files were you using Nero Recode to convert to mp4?

7. gooner59

gooner59 Member

Hi

Thanks for that information. Obviously not going to be as simple as I thought (is it ever?)

I will have to scour for a DivX dvd player and/or check out drdivx

Thanks again

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome.

9. MHguitar

MHguitar Member

They were originally Mpeg-1 files. I took one of these Mpeg-1s and used Nero Vision to make an AVI but wasn't sure what codec I should use in Nero Vison export options(I picked Microsoft Mpeg-4 Ver2) - I will try this test file out to see what my DivX player does with it.