1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NeroVision Express2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kenslats, Jan 21, 2005.

1. kenslats

kenslats Guest

I recently burned a dvd on my Sony dvd burner.. using NeroVision Express2... Everything fine and the dvd played in my home dvd player... I saved the project and went to burn it again...

It took the same amount of time and everything seemed the same except on the actual dvd it looked shorter.. and it didn't work in my dvd player... but it did work on my computers dvd player... It's confusing because it burned the first time with no problem and then the next time I had problems.. no settings were changed.. I'm on Windows XP..

Any help would be appreciated. (I'm using Memorex DVD+.

Thanks,
    ken

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

I would suggest a change of media, as what you are using can be unreliable. also burn no greater than 4x.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Questionable media, but I'm not saying that's the problem. Why go through the process you did? You have a copy utility in Nero, try using that. From what you say, if the file is smaller, something wasn't saved.

4. kenslats

kenslats Guest

I have some Maxell dvd+'s.. is that better than Memorex?.... and the first time I used Memorex.. Did I just get lucky and it burned ok?

5. kenslats

kenslats Guest

Thanks.. I can't believe I didn't just copy the original the first time... saved me like an hour and 3 ruined dvd's... live and learn..

Ken

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Maxell has a better rep. Download the freeware, DVD Identifier, and check the manufacturer codes. That'll tell you what you have. Older memorex +R was Ricoh and some other decent manufacturers, then they went to CMC over the past year.

Did you try using the disc copy in Nero to copy the copy that works?

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

kenslats,

yep, brobear is exactly right, woulda took ya about 12-15 minutes in Nero Express to make a copy of your copy. Just insert your copy in your DVD-ROM, open Nero Express, click on "copy entire disc". Pick your souce drive(DVD-ROM) and then your burner. Set burn speed, no. of copies, and hit burn, done.

BTW, Memorex is one of the worst choices for media. Anything by CMC will present problems sooner or later.

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  8. kenslats

kenslats Guest

Thanks BigOrange.. I appreciate all the feedback..

Ken

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep... Thanks BigO. ;)

10. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

BigOrange: Just a quick followup question. I'm a little confused by the term BRANDED media. I always thought of Fuji, Verbatim, Memorex, Maxell, etc., as being "brands". I know that different companies farm out their work to someone else, but I assume this isn't what you are talking about regarding BRANDED media. Is this correct? BTW, Go Vols!

Thanks,
    Tom

11. brobear

brobear Guest

The names not bigorange, but I think I can answer this one. You have the branded concept. Maxell, Fuji, Sony and others stamp the brand on the discs, thus branded. Some brands sell unmarked discs. The unmarked, or unbranded, media makes it easier for the scam artists. So, it is safest to buy branded. As an example Meritline sells Ritek discs in different offerings. You can get blank face discs, inkjet printable discs, and the branded with the Ritek name. It's safest to buy the branded.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Thanx brobear. yep, that's it exactly. BTW, Go Vols back at ya! :>)

13. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome BigO... Go Blue...

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Tennessee does play a Kentucky team today, but their colors aren't blue. It's Louisville. Go Vols!

15. brobear

brobear Guest

In that case, go Vols. Not a big Card fan.

16. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Thanks BigO & BroBear. Thought that was right. Can't root for Louisville cause my alma mater (USM) is in the same conference -- but not doing too well. My son is a huge Vol fan (he attended ETSU for a year and transferred).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey hey hey, my alma mater is ETSU. I played ball there too. Go BUCS!

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Funny thing, my son's Alma Maters are Louisville, UK Med, and ETSU Med. A bachelors at UL, with a med degree from UK and board certification from ETSU. UK is my Alma Mater, but I root for the VOLs. The only time I'm not for the Vols is when they're trying to molest Tubby's Cats.

Let's see... Go Cards, Go Blue, Go Vols, Go Bucs. Did I miss anyone? LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I notice you root for the Vols in football and the Cats in basketball. Boy! that's covering all the bases with winners. Why not visa-versa? heh heh

(sorry, I couldn't help myself,LOL)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  20. brobear

brobear Guest

Birds of a feather I guess. I like hanging with the winners. LOL [bold]I could help myself. Guess I did. LOL [/bold]

You notice I do root for the football cats as well. I just realize the fact they've yet to learn how to play an entire game. They will often play a good first part of a game, but not realize they have to play all 4 quarters, especially the final one.

The youngest son lives in TN, so I have legitimate reasons to root for the VOLs. As though I might need one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005