1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New burned dvd's having trouble player. Help?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by McPimp, Aug 7, 2007.

1. McPimp

McPimp Member

Well here is my problem. I just recently got a new pack of DVD-r's, Verbatims. I'm using an external DVD burner that has been working fine for about 2 years or so. Recently with these Verbatims though nothing I'm burning works quite right. It started with just giving me burn errors a few times. Then when it finally goes through all the way, it plays very choppy on my dvd player. I checked one of my old burned dvd's and they work just fine so I doubt it's the player. The DVD plays perfectly fine if I use my computer dvd drive though. So I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Any help?

Some additional info, I normally use Nero 7 to burn, but even when it finished sometimes it would ask me to format that disc still if I tried to open it on my computer, and my dvd player wouldn't read the disc. So sometimes it plays but it's very choppy, other times it doesn't read at all.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what the make and model number of the burner?

make sure your firmware is up to date?

3. McPimp

McPimp Member

Sony DVD RW DRU-810A USB Device. If you need more than that let me know.

I'm not sure if the firmware is updated, I checked online and found one for an internet version. Not sure if it worked for external.

4. McPimp

McPimp Member

Heh I checked out firmware a little and read the, "Warning Flashing could ruin your drive forever!" so I thought maybe I'd wait for a little more advice and step by step's from somebody who knows a little more then me.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

6. McPimp

McPimp Member

So internal or external doesn't matter? It's all the same thing?

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

It's the same thing if your external drive is connected to a USB 2.0 or FireWire connection. If it is connected to USB 1.1, the transfer rate is too slow--but this would have shown up earlier in trying to record at any speed faster than 2X.

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

if you use nero info tool it will tell you your firmware for your drive.
    1.0f looks like its the newest firmware.

also what speed are you burning at?
    try lowering to see if that helps

9. McPimp

McPimp Member

Well I tried to update the firmware and it said this drive cannot be updated.

I looked around and starting using ConvertXtoDVD to make the Video_TS files but not using that program to burn. Then I switched to DVDshrink to burn the Video_TS files ConvertXtoDVD to dvd. The DVD plays fine but the quality is a bit off then normal. Still better then not playing at all or being choppy. Plus this only takes about an hour and a half instead of 3-7 hours.