1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Burner won't recognize blank media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Lbuchanan, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Lbuchanan

Lbuchanan Member

I just recently purchased an LG GSA-H10AK drive. It's supposed to be a CD-RW/DVD±RW drive. I'm using Windows XP Pro, and it assigned "the "HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4522B" driver to run the drive.

When I insert a blank DVD-R or DVD+R disc the light on the front of the drive flashes for a bit and then nothing. If I click on the drive in My Computer it says "Please insert a disc"

When I insert a CD-R the drive name changes to "CD Drive" in My Computer, and if I try to open it, it gives me an error, something about an Illegal Function.

The drive is brand new, just recieved and installed it yesterday. I've been looking around for drivers that might work better or any advice on what might be the problem, but haven't been able to find anything that helps. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. res2cue

res2cue Guest

My guess is that you need to update the firmware for the drive.

3. Lbuchanan

Lbuchanan Member

Thanks res2cue,

I've searched LG's website for firmware (or any other kinds of software) for the GSA-H10AK drive and come up emtpy. LG doesn't even seem to acknowledge that this model drive was ever made, no downloads of any kind for this model. Any suggestions where I might find a firmware update for this drive?

Thanks again

4. Lbuchanan

Lbuchanan Member

Ok, I found the firmware updates for the GSA-H10 series drives, but when I try to run them, they all say that there are no compatible drives. So I opened up my computer and looked at the drive itself. The model number on the drive is GCC-4482B, when I do a search on that model I find that the drive is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo, with no DVD writing ability. The front panel on the drive has the logos for DVD+R, Super Multi, and LightScribe, so I'm not sure if this is a case of someone switching out the front panel on a drive that doesn't have the listed abilities or what.

Anyone seen anything like this? Either way, I'm going to call the company that I ordered it from on Monday and see about a replacement, I believe.

Thanks again,

5. res2cue

res2cue Guest

yes sir, you will probably have better luck with a new one. Good luck.