1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Implementations to the Site

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Ripper, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

So I may be missing the point - and usually I am a fan of the new stuff to be added - however, lately, I don't really see the point of the last two implementations:

1. "Browse By Topic" - Why can't another tab "Topics" be added to the menu up to, as opposed to an annoying JavaScript thingy in the side of the forum page? Just seems to get in the way, especially if you're clearing cache/cookies after browsing and it's not remembering to bugger off, so to speak.

2. "X product review(s)" - Why has this been added to the side bar? I don't really see the significance, unless AfterDawn is trying to slant towards tech reviews as a main feature now? Otherwise, IMHO, it doesn't really warrant a space on the main 'forum user display' (?); why not stick it in the profile sections?

Anyway, to my point, how about some settings to turn one, or both, things off?

Opinions?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We'll add a feature to this so that when you turn off the topic box, it'll record that info to your account, so once you log in next time, site will remember your preference. Wont happen overnight, but its coming.

And I explained the main idea behind the "topic box" in the news article written when it was launched --- we have hundreds of thousands of new users arriving to the site on daily basis and the categorization schema used at the "top" navigation now doesn't exactly shed any light to Joe Average of what this site is about or what type of content there is (as it lists content by "type", such as "Software" and "Guides", but doesn't give any indication what content those types include).

Even more worrying has been the observation that we have thousands of regular forum users who haven't managed to "find" the vast content we have on the "main site" too and we think that the "topic box" assists them too finding the material we have. Evidence of this is in the fact that people post news articles from other sites to forums, even when we have covered the topic on our news section, etc etc :) So, the idea is the same as it was behind the decision to "grow" the size of the top navigation buttons about 18 months ago -- to make it more obvious and easier to "click around the site".

Because we believe that the "product comparison" area of our site is currently overlooked / not noticed by majority of our regular members. Might be due the silly naming of the tab now ("hardware") or due something else. I think that if people "find" the service, it helps many of our users to have the collective opinion of our users for home electronic & PC products in one easy-to-find place.

And why it is visible on forums? Because vanity drives people ;-) The very same thing is behind the constant requests to add the "post count" to be visible on forums. Instead, we decided to put a "counter" on forums, but to make it "feed" a section that has been slightly overlooked by our regular user base here on English side of the fence :)

You'll get a chance to at least turn the "topic box" off, it should be finished later this spring.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, sure thing; I've been around a while and know these things take time, so nice one.

That's fair enough. I must say I don't "embrace" it to it's full, either.

Both very true, the latter slightly sad, though. :lol:

Thanks for the reply.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

While it's on my mind, one more thing.

I think we should be able to either:

a) Post more than one review to an item

or

b) Have the ability to edit our review (which I couldn't find, if it exists)

For example, I have used a mobile phone for a certain amount of time and my opinion has changed over time, yet I cannot change my review posted at about 1 month of ownership.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The option B is coming hopefully by early next week. Furthermore, we'll also include the list of your reviews to your profile page, in shortened version, so "your aD life" will be nicely listed in one place.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, thanks a lot dRD.

Keep it up.