1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MCE2005 Install Question - Codecs Etc.

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by agenda, Jan 22, 2007.

1. agenda

agenda Member

I plan to dedicate a PC as a media center pc in the next few days. I have used MCE2005 before without too many issues but it has been awhile - the PC died and I didnt have a spare to dedicate at the time. Its an Athlon 2000, 1G RAM, 256M ATi card, Abit Mobo.

My question.
    I intend to watch mostly ripped DVD's (PAL and NTSC) which is pretty straight forward with MyMovies2. However, I intend to watch divx, avi and some HD as well if possible.

What codec installation would leave me with the least amount of issues in MCE2005?

I was thinking k-lite and/or the nvidia pure video decoders. I dont know if they play well together.

Also, should I stick to the default media player in MCE or use TheatreTek - which I found to be a pain in the ass, but if its a dramatically better picture then i could deal with it.

I will be using AnyDVD as well if thats any concern.

Thanks for any assistance. I just want to add the correct codecs so I dont have alot of trial and error time.

2. 74sixpack

74sixpack Member

ive done tried everything under the sun as far as codecs and setups with the diff codecs and yes all pain in the rear to setup and actually get to the picture you want. my suggestion is go with mce and purevideo decoder and be done with the hassle. That is what im using now and to tell you what its just as good as any other setup i had not a signif diff ya know. you will be happy with mce and purevideo. just remember if you are going to set it up that way to disable directx vid acceleration because directx and purevid do not mix well and it will take away from any HD vids you have. Also didnt have near the problems i did with the other codecs and setups.