1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member with a problem

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by skippy955, Mar 18, 2005.

1. skippy955

skippy955 Guest

I'm new to the site and wanted to get some feedback on a problem I'm having recording VHS taped movies to DVD.

I have bought a PC (HP – AMD 3200+) with Hauppauge WinTV-PVR TV and FM radio tuner card installed and have been capturing video using InterVideo WinDVD Creator. Everything seems to work fine but when I play the DVD created the picture seems to be jerky every few seconds like it’s skipping or stalling and then moving on. I’ve created a few and they all have the same problem.

Can anybody give me any advice on what the problem is and how I can solve it?

The picture quality of the recording seems to be OK, apart from this, but the soundtrack seems to lose something in the translation. It’s louder and seems to especially lose a lot of the base presence. I use the highest quality setting when recording. Is there a better way to capture the soundtrack?

Sorry if this is a known problem but trying to find specific info in existing threads was taking me ages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Your framesize may be too large, and the jerkiness is caused by dropped frames.
    Try different software.

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Where are your captures going? Do you have a separate partition or drive?
    One thing I found when I start to get skips and/or hangs it's usually due to my drive space and fragmentation. Also important is the need for emptying the trash bin. Deleted files aren't really deleted unless you empty the trash. No insult intended but remember- deleted files use reserved HD space unless you EMPTY the trash bin THEN defrag the space you have reserved for vid work. Having contiguous free space is important to help eleminate dropped frames and even then you will get occasional frame drops.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

From what I know the Hauppague Win-TV PVR uses a Hardware Mpeg-2 encoder and I am Not sure "WinDVD Creator" properly Utilizes the Hardware encodeing...

If your CPU usage is High when captureing then the Software is Not useing the Hardware encodeing in which case you should be useing the Win-TV Software that Came with the Card.....

With Hardware Mpeg-2 encodeing you should Not Drop any Frames because all of the encodeing is Done on the Card and even the slowest most fragmented Drive can Write 50mb of mpeg-2 to the Drive per Minute so I suspect your Problem Lies in the Fact that the software you are useing is Not useing the Hardware Mpeg-2 encodeing and is Basicly re-encodeing the Incomeing Signal....

When useing Proper Software you should be able to capture at Full resolution without dropping Frames and be able to do other things with the PC while Captureing and the Quality should be better also because the Signal isn"t being re-compressed by the software....

Good Luck
    Cheers

5. skippy955

skippy955 Guest

I have done some checking and the software records input fine to MPG file. It drops frames when I burn it to DVD or to he hard drive in DVD format. I have since downloaded a copy of TMPGEnc and it takes the MPG file and, after formatting (chapters etc), writes to DVD fine. When I play the DVD it's fine, so the problem is with WinDVD Creator.

Which version of TMPGEnc should I get (Author, Express etc). I'm a little confused about what the differences are between them. I'm currently using a trial version of Author. Does this come packged with the Express version?

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Which exact model of WinTV-PVR do you have?