1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new motherboard won't let windows recognize the sata drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bklyn1028, Jan 30, 2005.

1. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

can i ask this.....can the standoff's be all plastic ones...not the metal ones...the case came with metal and about 5 plastic ones....the plastic just screw into the case, and the motherboard sits on it...no screwing..would that help?

2. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

No All Plastic standoffs are good, and I really doubt you have a short cause it would be acting up a lot worse. i still think its a XP problem or a heat problem but Im leaning towards XP. All plastic standoffs are actually good so no problems there and you dont have a short.

3. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Also DDP make a good point it could also be your Bios settings and yeah I would make sure they are set to default.

4. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i doubt it is xp..because when the system was first fired up, xp wasn't installed, and it shut off in seconds...for about 20 times...finally when it stayed on, i loaded xp..so it did it b4 xp was loaded

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

cant be the cpu is overheating, because in bios the cpu is 43 degrees c...besides i don't think the cpu would overhead in 5 seconds

6. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

True all I can say is you dont have a short and its a BIOS, A HD, or a Install Problem.

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

friend of mine said the same thing, no short...he said to go into bios, and undo anything that has anything to do with power management, disable it

8. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

other thing, the keyboard worked until I installed xp
    hey...can i uninstall xp...and reinstall?..just boot from xp cd?

9. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i should be the newbie...you should be the member....LOL

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your cpu settings as possible problem. what is cpu & what is set at & supposed to be set at in bios

11. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

have no idea what cpu settings are...but........came home last nite, turned it on at 9pm....shut it off when i went to bed at 1am...so seems to be staying on,,,now..final last 2 probs....can't get the keyboard to work, p/s2..reboot, lets me go into bios, (del key) goes to xp doesn't work, the number lite comes on, stays on..that is all that works, can't take it off...then i'll reboot, and it'll work in xp, (happened only once)...won't work now...2nd...usb won't work....loaded sp2 like gigabyte's tech said to...last to issues fellas...come on...we can do this
    joe

12. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

So you tryed using a USB keyboard?? Anyways glad to hear you got it stable finally.

13. ddp

remove keyboard in safe mode than restart system so can find keyboard. if keyboard works than check device manager usb section for exclamation mark

14. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

I have 3 hard drives 2-ATA 133 and 1-SATA 150, I want to install Windows XP on the SATA cause it is a faster drive! The only way I have figured to do it is to install on 1 of the ATA drives and copy partition to SATA drive and change boot drive in bios! Well the second time I had to do this it worked but windows is running certain processes off of the old windows drive. Now I cant format the old drive cause some of the files are in use? When I try to boot from the Windows XP CD and it gets to the screen that asks what partition to install on: the SATA drive doesnt show up! I have tried hitting F6 or F3 to install third party SCSI drivers during windows installation but it said I didnt have any SCSI drives attached? This is a pain in the but cause when Windows loads it gets alot of errors! Another problem is my sound isnt working? It worked fine before I had to Reinstall everything!

15. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

ok....everything is up and running....the keyboard....wow....it came off of a gateway system, plain microsoft p/s2 keyboard. i had plans to give the system to my kid, so while i reformatted the new hard drive...(put on xp pro instead of xp home)...i decided to hook up my gateway system in the kid's room...lo and behold..the keyboard in ? works fine..seems it is proprietary for that system, can't think of anything else....the microsoft natural keyboard works fine on this new system...by the way..doom 3 is absolutely unbelievable... i went from black and white TV to high def....wow...thank you all for your help.....joe is happy now....lol

16. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

Do I have to start a new thread or what? I am not sure because I am Obviously a Newbie? but I really need help?

17. ddp

Schwaggy, should start a new one but what is problem(s)

18. Schwaggy

Schwaggy Member

I have 3 drives! 2 - 80GB samsung ata 133's and 1 - 120 sata 150 drive! I had this working before just dont remember wtf I did! (anyways) It seems I cant install Windows on the sata drive because when I boot from Windows XP CD (the part when I choose the partition) the sata dirve doesnt appear! When I try through windows same thing! Only way I figured was to install Windows Xp on 1 of the ata 133 drives and then do a drive to drive copy to the sata drive then adjust the setting in bios to boot from the SCSI drive instead of HD0..... windows works but when I try to format the old drive it says it cant because some of the files are in use! How can I make sure and adjust which processes boot from each drive! I get a lot of errors when windows boots!

19. ddp

if i'm right when loading xp for 1st time it asks you to load 3rd party drivers so did it ask you. also have you read this thread yet & try the suggestions??

20. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Yes when loading xp for the first time...boot from cd...have the drivers...(usually you have allready backed them up to a floppy from the mobo's driver disk)......then hit F6..when it asks for outside drivers.....after you do that....when it reboots again....del..go to bios...change the boot order to HD first...