1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PSU, computer doesn't post.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skidme, Jan 11, 2007.

1. skidme

skidme Guest

Hey, I'm really hoping someone here can help me. I installed a new modular PSU into my computer today, and now it will not post. The CPU fan turns on, and all of the peripherals do as well, but the monitor does not leave sleep mode. I'm thinking that the problem may be my video card, 7800 GT...perhaps it was fried when I first powered on the comp. Any help would be appreciated.

2. skidme

skidme Guest

P.S.

I just tried powering the computer with the PSU I replaced, and no go. I still get the same standby monitor. Might it be a good idea to go to Best Buy tomorrow to get a PCI graphics card to see if the motherboard still works? Any help is appreciated.

3. ts1982

ts1982 Member

i dont know how much this will help but do you have integrated graphics? maybe plug your monitor into that if you havent yet. pull your 7800gt(they devour power) and see if you get anything. that way you will know if its your card. im having issues with my 7800 right now so maybe we can help each other out. what kind of psu you got?

4. skidme

skidme Guest

I have a Raidmax 630 watt modular PSU. Sadly my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics. I don't feel like solving the problem mysself, so I'm just going to take the comp to a PC repair shop today. TGIF =)

5. ts1982

ts1982 Member

yeah, i hear ya. hopefully, its nothing major. best of luck to you.

6. skidme

skidme Guest

So what kind of problems are you having with your card? When my computer isn't being fried by a faulty PSU, I'm usually really good with computers. Maybe I can help you out

7. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

Clear the cmos and see if that works

8. ts1982

ts1982 Member

when my comp boots up my the fan will come up on the gpu. my screen comes up and looks fine. after a few minutes it freezes up and will then shut down the computer. i have a 480w sure power running it and it still has this problem. maybe i need to take it back and get an even more powerful psu. maybe it doesnt have enough amps. i dont know if you ever had this problem with your video card.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ts1982, check your bios to see what the cpu temp is as sounds like cpu is overheating.