1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Scam

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by durkinjt, Dec 16, 2015.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Just had a good one, bought Iobit Updater, when I was finished with the sale, was told to call a number to get registered (ever heard of that?), get this techie on the phone , who had me let him into my computer, and went on to try to tell me all the problems my rig had and that I could A: Bring it to a shop and have it tuned up, etc. , would cost about $500.00 or B: His company(I assume Avantquest) could do it for half the price online and I would have the service for 9 months at half the cost, before I hung up on him I let him in on the news that the computer is 2 days old! First time I had a scam like that happen, Iobit and Avanquest must be desperate.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

where did you buy it from as I just moved the thread from where you had it to now in "virus & spyware problems" forum as you now let that so called techie into your computer? have you heard of the "windows technical support" scam?

3. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

From Iobit/Avanquest, yes heard it for years , but never when buying a program online from a well known older company, over the years I have bought several products from them and never had this happen, I was not taken in, just was curious and went along with it to see where it was going. Sad to see what I thought was a decent company pull this.

4. ddp

5. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

The link you have shown is the one. From what I can gather Avanquest handles the finances for Iobit.

6. ddp

what anti-virus\anti-spyware programs do you have?

7. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Was Avangate, not Avenquest, s
    I have Adaware, Malawarebytes, Advanced System Care Ultimate 8 (all registry programs disabled).
    orry

8. aldan

aldan Active member

you should really look at getting an antivirus program to go with that.adaware is not the program it used to be,but i really like malwarebytes.its worth getting the premium version for the realtime protection.after having let that guy onto your computer it would be worth checking for malware.

9. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks Aldan, will do so ,what anti virus do you like?

10. aldan

aldan Active member

been using avast free version for years and really like it.