1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system won't power on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smackfrog, Mar 10, 2005.

1. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I have recently bought components for a new pc and have put them together and then when I went to power on and start setting everything up I was met by... nothing. I got a Rosewill 103A Case with 350W psu, Asrock 775V88 Mobo, 2.8ghz p4 lga775, Geil pc3200 512mbx2 ddr, nec 3520a, sony dvd reader, 80 gb maxtor sata hdd. I have built 1 system, but it was barebones with case and mobo together. I have done everything that I can think of correctly and I am having a hell of a time figuring out what it is that I am missing. When I power the system on I can hear the high pitched sound of a current, but the psu fan doesn't come on and neither does anything else. I took the psu out of another comp and plugged it to my system and it did the same thing, nothing came on, not even the psu fan, but could hear the current. If anyone has any suggestions of something I could be doing wrong, missing, whatever, I would appreciate it, I know its kinda difficult to just guess when you can't even see the system.

2. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

Well.. in case anyone had advice, I will go ahead and let everyone know what I have already tried. I have checked to make sure that the power button cable is on the right jumper, I have disconnected and reconnected everything, I tested my psu on another (older) system, I have tried each stick of ram separately, I have tried just connecting psu to the motherboard, I have tried a diff. psu. I am at a loss, the only 2 things I can possibly think of are that I may not have enough power (only 350w) or that my mobo is no good. I can't really test either one here since I don't have a larger psu and don't have another system to put my mobo into. So.. any suggestions, or should I just take it somehwere and get it tested?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cards, ram & cables to see if still get whine from psu, if still do than remove board from case as sounds like a short hopefully between board & case & not the motherboard. if did the 1st part & psu powers normally than start putting things back in 1 by 1 but repowering system to make certain still powers up

4. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

Well I got it to work, turns out i put the motherboard in wrong somehow and it was touching the metal of the case, luckily it didn't fry it and now it seems to be working fine. Thanx for reply though.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn

6. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Good old grounding issues!