1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New with DS (Quick Modding Questions)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by liquidsli, Jan 21, 2007.

1. liquidsli

liquidsli Regular member

I'm going to buy a DS Lite tomorrow and need some info. I want to fix my DS up so I can play homebrew and backups on it.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it ok to buy the newest DS Lite, or is an older version better for modding (like the psp)?

2) Could someone please list ALL the items I need to be able to play homebrew and backups on it. (Or a link to a website that will point me in the right direction)?

*I haven't had much time to read up on modding the DS because I've been working straight 12's at work for the past 2 weeks.

If someone could please help me out by pointing me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
    "(PM me if necessary)"

Thanks A Lot.

2. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

1. yes. get lite while u can.

2. tools:
    passme (such as passcard, supercard, passkey) this goes in nds slot.
    -i'd go with passcard3
    flash cart (m3, supercard, ez4, g6 lite)
    -i'd go with m3 lite perfect (microsd ext mem), you can go with m3 lite pro (<ditto) if you dont care for gba games and some larger gba homebrew(over 8MB i believe).

-or-

slot-1 device, just one of these going into nds slot:
    ds-xtreme (512 MB internal memory)
    m3 ds simply (microsd ext mem)
    r4 (ditto^)
    *r4 and simply are very similar, but m3 is more popular, while r4 has slightly more support, although... the simply is pretty new.
    **since all this is in the nds slot, there is no gba game/homebrew support. so no apps that end in ".GBA".
    -i reccommend m3 ds simply, since i have personal knowledge with it, but the r4 seems to also have A LOT of the SAME features with slightly more technical support from the manufacturer. also, they can be converted into each other with ome solder... look at the 'm3 ds simply guide'.

-oooorrrrr-
    one of the above with one of the afformentioned flashcarts for most compatibility. this is because the above can also act as passme's. i'm not exactly sure if ds-x can work as a passme though...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007