1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbee question about Old Video tapes

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by zjoske, Feb 7, 2004.

1. zjoske

zjoske Guest

I'm a granddad and we have a lot of bought tapes of movies for our grandchildren as Lion King - Peter Pan etc.. Now we've bought a DVD player.
    And I've copied the movies on Tape to my harddisk of the computer and now I want to burn DVD's from the saved movies . But I think I've not the right format , because I will not get a good DVD. Please can anybody help me out to tell me the procedure how to get conversion of the tapes into DVD's

I've a dvd-burner and player

zjos

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

**thread moved out of xbox forum, into video forum.**

3. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

What type of file did you capture to(AVI,MPG etc.)? Also, could you explain a little more about the files such as bitrate and resolution? Depending on the quality of your captures you would just need to convert them to a DVD compliant mpeg using a software encoder like TMPGEnc. Be warned that doing so can be very time consuming. The final thing you would do is import the mpeg into a DVD authoring program so that it can be formatted into a proper DVD structure.

4. zjoske

zjoske Guest

Tegee,

Most of the files have AVI format. And my DVD-player don't recognize this format (the computer knows the avi format) So what I need is a converter from Avi to something what could be read on my dvd-player.
    My burner is a Nec 1300A and I'm using NERO 6 as burning software.
    So when I've the Mpeg-programm I can convert the AVI movies into MPEG - format ...?? and would those be readable by the dvd-player ..?

Thanks

Zjos

5. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

Assuming that your DVD player accepts the media that you will be burning to, yes they should play fine. You need to re-encode the avi's to mpeg-2. There are plenty of programs that can do this. You should probably have some software that can do this that came with your capture device and/or DVD burner.