1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ArgenJon, Aug 28, 2002.

1. ArgenJon

ArgenJon Member

Just got my new comp with my first burner, and I have yet to figure several things out. Here're my questions/problems:

First, my computer came with Roxio EZ CD creator 5.3, a Mitsumi DVD drive, and a Lite-On LTR 48246s 48x/24x/48x CD-RW, and runs windows XP Home. I downloaded the windows update patch that says it addresses CD burning issues in windows xp.

1. How do I set up a CD-RW disk to function as a zip disk, where I can use synchonizing software to backup my files easily? Is there some special software I have to use?

2. How come when I tell EZ CD creator to copy a game CD (I tried Max Payne), it seems to start copying ok, then hits an error? I tried this twice with 2 CD-Rs, and both are now unusable. The errors for each were exactly the same, and occured at the same sectors.

3. How come when I tell CloneCD to read a game CD to an image file it sometimes says it will take 3 hours, but with other discs it takes just a few minutes?

4. What, exactly does Clony do? What's the difference between Clony, Clony XL, and Clony XXL? Do I need to use them?

5. What are ASPI drivers? Clony XXL said it need them, so I downloaded the 4.71 version from adaptec and installed it, but now when I start Clony XXL, it gives an error every time, saying this may be caused by bad ASPI drivers. I don't think I have SCSI drives on my system; are the ASPI drivers only for SCSI? How do I remove ASPI drivers?

6. Why won't my CD-RW drive recognize a 1.3gb double density CD-RW disc?

Thanks! BTW, if I'm being stupid and ignoring a FAQ that answers all these questions, I'll kick myself for you all. But please be kind enough to show me where that FAQ is!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

1) You need a packet writing software such as InCD or DirectCD.

2) Easy CD Creator can't copy protected discs and most game CDs have a protection of some sort. You need CloneCD or BlindWrite

3) CloneCD prolly jams on some error (the protection?) on the CD. What CD, what CD-ROM drive, what settings?

4) Clony tried to detect the copy protection of the CD and teh pass parameters to CloneCD. XL..XXL are revisions of the same software. Useless crap I think.

5) ASPI is a software driver/layer that software can use to access hardware.

6) Is your drive CD-DD compatible - VERY FEW are.

3. ArgenJon

ArgenJon Member

Ok, thanks!

1. I used DirectCD, and it works!

3. I'm trying to copy the GTA3 play disc. When I use my DVD drive to read it, all kinds of "failed to read sector xxx" messages pop up in the log. If I use my Burner to read it, it goes really slow; says the remaining time is something like 3 hours. I'm going to let it go and see if it works, but should it take this long?

One more question, is there some way to tell what protection is on a CD? I successfully copied Jedi Outcast by copying all the files from the CD to a CD-R with CD creator and giving it the same name; it seems that this CD had no protection. How can I tell if this will work before trying it out?

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

CloneCD read speed depends on the drive you are using and the disc. Do you have another drive to test it with? Also CloneCD has all kinds of switches that also affect the ripping speed.

As said before, the Clony scans the disc for copy protections. You can of course try that.