1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to Burning DVD's - Need Basic Info

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by phatneff, Jan 6, 2005.

1. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ok, I'm new to burning dvd's. I have a Memorex External DVD-R/+R -RW +RW 16x Dual Layer drive. It comes with Nero 6 for Memorex Suite. I have upgraded to the latest firmware for the drive and also the latest Nero software updates.

Now, when I try to copy DVD's, I get a protection error, saying the disc is copy protected, or it can't be read.

What is the basic additional software that I need to add/download so that I can copy these DVD's? What is the best method?

I'm sure it's written somewhere in these forums, but I would just like an answer to these questions in one simple location.

If you can't tell, I've been getting very frustrated!!!

2. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

hey phatneff, software preference is really up to the user from what i've seen. I personally use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. You can get both of those from this site under the software tab. For detailed instructions just check the guides section and refer to the guides for the software. I am a newbie as well and they are not that hard to use at all. Basically, you just need to use software to decrypt the disc, (DVD Shrink should be able to do this for you, or DVD Decrypter for those stubborn disk.) and then I would use DVD Shrink to compress it to where it will fit on a standard dvd. All of which is explained in the guides which are very detailed and very easy to follow... big thanks to the authors.

3. phatneff

phatneff Member

thanks, akm. but what about dual layering?

4. nesto13

nesto13 Member

shrink and decrypter should be abe to handle dual layer write without prob, that question was answered in another thread. you can always shrink file down using dvdshrink to fit on single layer dvd. i have badked up 80 or so dvds all on single layer and they look fine on my 46 inch projection.

5. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

for dual layering you need a dual layered dvd to record on which are kinda pricey from what i've seen.

6. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ok, thanks folks. I'll start with this info and go from there.