1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to HD DVD Questions

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by wldcard, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wldcard

wldcard Member

Someone just bought my daughter a bunch of HD DVD's and my wife opened them before she realized that in my Daughter's room there is only a standard DVD player. I plan on buying a HD DVD Player soon for the family room.

Here are my questions.

1. Can a HD DVD Player play standard DVD's?
    2. Since i normally give my daughter a copy of the DVD (because she ruins them in no time) and she play the copy on her machine, Can I rid the HD DVD and record it to a DVD?
    3. Are HD DVD's more sensitive to a scratch on the disc surface?
    4. Am I completely out of luck and am I going to be forced to watch these movies in my family room???

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

question one is yes, number two, do you have a hd drive in your system? you will have convert the hd movie to dvd, three same as a dvd as far as scratches, a heads up about the scratches on your disks you might invest in some d-skins for your daughters disks, not unless you do what i said

3. byngo

byngo Regular member

rdmercer1 is quite right but lets take a step back a minute.
    You now have some HD DVD's bought as a gift, but nothing to play them on and you are considering buying a HD player so you can play them.
    You should be deciding which HD format player you would buy based on the merits of each format (HD or Blu-ray) and which one is gonna come out on top, then get films on the format of your chosen player, not the other way around.
    Are you sure at this stage that HD format is the way to go.??
    Why don't you ask if the person who bought them has the reciept still and get them swapped out for DVD's. Or even sell them & buy the DVDs.
    All im saying is don't rush in, just cause you've been handed some disks and Id say the same if they were blu-ray format too.