1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie trying to view .mpgs on dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by drake-r8, Oct 31, 2004.

1. drake-r8

drake-r8 Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to afterdawn, and I'm trying to get an answer to this. I've read some of the guides - vcd/svcd to dvd, etc., but they don't answer my question! What I want to do is watch a bunch of .mpg movies on my standalone dvd player. The .mpg movies are 70 to 80 mb each, and most I have sourced from dvd. My portable polaroid dvd player will accept my dvd, provide a dos-style menu, and play one or all of the .mpg movies, but I can't find any other dvd player that will even read the disk! Is it even possible to do this? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

drake-r8.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Try burn it with programs like Nero which would transform the mpeg files into formats compatible with stand alone DVD players.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi drake-r8,

You are pretty much there - follow the guides.

BTW, when you're going to use VCD's or SVCD you burn them to CD's NOT to DVD's. There is a difference between CD's and DVD's.

If you want to put those same things on DVD's they'll have to be rendered (Which takes a whole lot of time).

There are some simple transcoding proggys like NeroVision OR dvd Santa which will do it for you. Me, I like to use TMPGEnc to render it into an DVD compliant MPEG2 file then run it through TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your full VOB files (the VOB's you get from TMPGEnc aren't the correct format). Once you've done DVD Author, just burn to disc.

DVD Shrink will pick up it's too big and you can then compress it and burn to disc in a heartbeat :)

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  4. drake-r8

drake-r8 Member

Thanks for the quick replys. Although after reading the posts, it seems like I'm still right back where I started. If the .mpg files need to be rendered or converted, then that deafeats the whole purpose. Again, the .mpg files are 70 to 80 mb each, which means 50 to 60 movies on a 4.3 gb dvd, while the dvd compliant files are 220 to 280 mb each, which means 15 to 18 on a dvd, at most. I guess I was just trying to fit more of the movies onto one dvd, which is why I converted them to .mpg in the first place. The .mpg movies are of vhs-quality, which is more than acceptable - as long as I can watch 40 to 50 on one dvd, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Thanks again for your replys.

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi drake-r8
    If you not too fussy about the picture quality,you can author mpeg 1's (also dvd compliant)in TMPGEnc dvd author,to make vob files to burn on dvdr.TMPGEnc dvd author can resample your audio(tho ive been told this isnt the right way to do it, but it works for me) to make it dvd compliant.
    Ive used this method several times, to make dvds, to be played on smaller tv's and travel dvd players,for my kids .I can put as many as 4 full movies on one disc.

Dvd author will tell you, as you add the files, if they are encoded correctly or not.If not you will have to re-encode with TMPGEnc mpeg,or mainconcepts etc. encoder.But then your mpegs will suffer more picture loss,because your mpegs lose picture quality everytime they have to be re-encoded.
    good luck to you
    jim
    p.s. hi scubapete long time no see
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there "Jimbo", missed you around here -

drake-r8,

If VHS quality is OK then you're in business -

The re-encoding Jim was speaking of is the thing that'll take time - the size will vary too -

Play with it, soon enough you'll decide what you want -

Cheers,

Pete

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi again

I failed to mention the time involved in such a project,thanks pete for reminding me.

A normal 2 hour movie takes me 3-4 hours to encode, depending on your computer specs, either faster or slower.
    Mainconcepts encoder is much faster, but more expensive.

And probably another 2 hours for dvd author,so it is a very time consuming project.

This is considered vhs, or tv, quality so keep that in mind.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, I thought I said that - I lQQked and I did say that sooo, I went back and edited it and made it BOLD :p)

Pete

9. regor

regor Regular member

hmmmm... Hi ScubaPete, re: [bold](the VOB's you get from TMPGEnc aren't the correct format)[/bold]...

I've always had good results transcoding using m2v elementary stream output with tmpgenc and then reading in the m2v and re-muxing with ifoedit. Is there a better or more efficient way to accomplish this?

I've never used tmpgenc's dvd author.

Please elaborate.

R

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi regor,

After your files come out of TMPGEnc then put them directly into TMPGEnc DVD Author - Give it a try, it's as simple as pie - :)

Let me know how you made out -

Pete

11. regor

regor Regular member

Hi there ScubaPete - I officially retract the 'hmmmm...' in my earlier post; Tmpgenc's DVD Author is really quite nice. I especially like the flexibility in creating menu's and chapters - moreso chapters - having the option to add none or some or many, by number or timebase is very slick. DvdSanta does it for you automatically but Tmpengc DVDA puts 'you' in control.

Even tho I have invested a 'bundle' I still like to leverage and tell others about useful 'freeware' utilites, like Ifoedit, ergo my earlier post(s) on this and other forums... It makes it more challenging (and it's free <grin>). If you (or anyone) has tips and tricks on how to add menus and chapters using various freeware utilities, please reply.

Gratci. R

12. drake-r8

drake-r8 Member

Thanks for all the help and info, guys, but my initial question remains unanswered. It must simply be that some dvd players have the capability of playing mpg/mpeg movie files on a dvd, and some don't. I am still perplexed as to why my portable polaroid dvd player will play 6 to 7 hours of mpg movies from one dvd, and none of my other dvd players will even regocnise the disc. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right dvd player, I guess.
    drake-r8.

13. regor

regor Regular member

Hi drake-r8 - Sorry you are not getting your question answered, so lets take another stab at it; Shall we?

Most new(er) model home DVD players, Samsung, RCA, Toshiba, etc., will play most formats i.e VCD, SVCD, DVD; some newer ones will even play DIVX - what players are you trying, other than Polaroid?

My experience with converting AVI and MPEG format video has been excellent, and I have been able to play the aforementioned formats on all my home DVD players, including Samsung, DAEWOO, Toshiba, COBY, others. I know that sounds crazy but I have a bunch of players. EGAD!

So if you take one of your home videos and convert it from AVI, lets say, to MPEG you should be able to either create a VCD or SVCD or even a DVD (my preference) without issue. Even audio.

So maybe you should be very descriptive in what you are experiencing... what have you tried? what players? are they AVI or MPEG1 or MPEG2 video files? What applications have you used to convert and burn? Is it VCD or SVCD or DVD?

We are (or ate least I am) all ears.

R

14. drake-r8

drake-r8 Member

Thanks for the quick reply to my rather frustrated post, rigor. And I am getting frustrated - but a friend who says this will work told me to try using a dvd-r, instead of dvd+r. I was also told to rename the extension of the .mpg files to .mpeg. What I am trying to do is fill a dvd with as many .mpg short movies onto one dvd as I can, and play that disk on my standalone dvd players. I have two dvds that each contain 50 to 60 .mpg files (cartoon shorts) and when played on WMP or my portable dvd player give me a dvd which will play for over 6 hours! And the quality is quite acceptable.
    I created the .mpg files using ImTooDVD Ripper which encoded to MPEG1. If I create a VCD, SVCD or DVD using the suggestions made here I will end up with a one or two hour disk, and defeats the whole purpose of converting the movies to .mpg in the first place. I have tried my two dvd discs, which are admittedly data discs, with no specific file structure and not proper dvds, but they will play in WMP and my portable polaroid dvd player, and they contain over 6 hours of .mpg movies. I have used my daewoo, and my kid's magnavox, panasonic and JVC players (all newer and capable of playing mp3, jpeg, etc.) So now I will burn the renamed .mpeg's to a dvd-r and hope that will work. I am just puzzled as to why the portable dvd player will accept my two discs so easily, present me with a menu to choose one or all of the .mpg movies, and play the entire disc (over 6 hours), and my other dvd players will not. So maybe I shouldn't expect the discs to work in a standalone dvd player, since they are not vcd, svcd or dvd format, just data dvds - I don't know - I just know that they do work in the portable player. Anyway, thanks for following the thread.
    drake-r8.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

drake-r8,

If your player is older than 2 years chances are it might accept the -R disc if it is in a DVD format But probably won't play the files you wish.

It's a matter of firmware (education)
    Try to think of it as a child who only went to 6th grade as opposed to a child who finished High School. Your one player isn't smart enough to play those files. your portable, the High School one has the right firmware (education) to play your discs. Buy a Cyber-Home player. $39.00 on sale everywhere and it will play a Pizza Pie.

It's truly too bad you can't understand what we're trying to tell you but in the hope that you may at some time at least TRY something prior to making unfounded statements, I'll post this set of "Crib" notes.

a guide for going FROM VCD to DVD
    (by Minion)

If the files aren't encoded then you should Use Mpeg2 instead of Mpeg1 because it is a better format and maybe "Bump" the bitrate up to about 1500kbs. This will increase the Quality quite a Bit and still allow you to get 6 hours on a DVD if you use a audio bitrate of 192kbs....

This DVD Format is Called SIF or CIF format and not every DVD authoring program will support this DVD format especially Cheapo DVD authoring programs. Both DVD Lab and TMPGEnc DVD Author will support this DVD format accept with DVDLab you have to use Mpeg2....

You can just encode your files to VCD but use 48000HZ Audio and then author them to a DVD with no problems. That way you could fit 6+ hours of VCD quality Video on a DVD....

When you encode a low resolution VCD file to full resolution DVD Format you loose a lot of quality because you are resizing a small resolution to a large resolution which is were you loose all of the quality, but there is no need to re-encode VCD's to DVD because VCD's are already DVD compliant accept for the audio which needs to be 48000hz to be on a DVD......

a Note about settings in the GOP Structure settings:

Set the "Output Interval for Sequence Header" to "1" and this will Put 1 sequence header before every GOP...
    You actually get Better quality when using a smaller GOP but it can cause a slightly bigger file size...
    This is the GOP I use:

Number of I Pictures in GOP: 1
    Number of P Pictures in GOP: 4
    Number of B Picture ins GOP: 2
    Number of Frames in GOP: 15

Cheers,

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  16. drake-r8

drake-r8 Member

Thanks for the video tutorial, Scuba Pete. Being lifelong shortwave radio enthusiast, the video scene is pretty new to me - football, the history channel and cartoons with the kids has pretty much been my experience with video over the years. But you did answer the question I asked in the beginning, and I thank you for that. I also just bought a Philips DVP642 and it does everything I put in it so far, including my 6:45:28 .mpg disc, so I'm happy.
    Cheers,

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -

We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ? I'll be lQQkin for you - -

Till then,

I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete ;p)