1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie with a question!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by siccamaro, Aug 24, 2004.

1. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

hi everyone!! this is the first time i've posted, although i have been lurking around here for a few weeks... from what i've read, some of you are very intelligent regarding the topics in these forums, so i am hoping that i can be helped out because i am very new to this whole 'hobby' and i don't really know what i am doing yet!!

my question is: i have only burnt 2 of my dvd movies so far and the copies will only work in my ps2. i'd really like them to work in my home dvd player and i'm not sure why they aren't... the media i'm using is memorex dvd+r 4x and the dvd player i have is an older sony (model dvp-s530d). is the problem most likely because older dvd players only recognize -r, and my burner only burns +r?? or is it because in general, most older dvd players don't read copied discs at all?? (my dvd player also doesn't read burnt copies of my music cds)...

i'm just mildly frusterated because i taught myself how to burn the discs no problem, but i cannot figure this out!! any ideas are very appreciated.

HEIDI

2. viper64

viper64 Guest

I will bet that your stand alone dvd player will only read dvd-r. You have two choices buy a new dvd player you can get a good on that will play - or + for around $40-$60 dollars. Second buy a new burner that burns dvd+/-r.If it was me with this problem I would buy a new player & burner

3. drchips

drchips Active member

4. sonny196

sonny196 Member

You're right, older DVD players won't play anything that isn't pressed. Did you notice that DVDs you buy aren't tinted on the bottom (like the ones you burn), they're pressed (kind of like an old vinyl record).

5. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

yes, i have noticed that the underside of burnt dvds and store bought dvds are different. so the store bought dvds are "pressed" so that they can be played on ANY dvd player (old players, new players, ps2, etc??)i don't understand why we can't burn copies of our dvd's just like that then?? so they play on ANYTHING. i mean the store bought dvds play on anything i've tried.

6. bruwery

bruwery Member

You can find a great explanation of why there's a difference at howstuffworks.com. Find the "How DVD works" article.

7. sonny196

sonny196 Member

It's all about money. Pressing machines are big money and the DVD-r disks that you make at home are recorded with dyes (for lack of a better word) being manipulated on the disk surface.