1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Won't playback on DVD player but will on computer

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dvdmum, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dvdmum

dvdmum Member

I am having trouble playing my new backup copy on my DVD player and XBox, but works fine on my computer.

I am a newbie and am still in the learning process. I followed guides from this site to backup a movie. I followed the following guides:

1. Copy entire DVD-9 movie to a single DVD-R using DVD Shrink; and then
    2. How to burn a DVD folder with DVD Decrypter

The disc that I used was a 'Imatiion DVD-R'.
    My DVD player is 'Panasonic HDD & DVD' and also tried to play on my XBox. DVD which I have made from my panasonic have worked on the Xbox, so I presumed this would do the same??????

Have I done something wrong? I have spent a few hours searching guides and forums for answers but couldn't find one, HOPING SOMEBODY CAN HELP.....PLEASE!!!! Thankyou.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Imation uses different manufacturers for their dvd's so may just be a compatibility issue.

Check the burn speed in decrypter - if you didn't change it it probably burned at max. So change the burn speed in decrypter to half the rated speed of the media.
    Check and make sure the firmware is up to date on the burner too.
    You can do this is decrypter too. Go Tools>drive>check for firmware updates.
    You'll it a popup with the version you have then it will take you to the firmware page to see if there is a later one. If there is update to the latest version.

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@dvdmum
    if it plays perfectly on your pc drive you may have done nothing wrong just check your dvd-player manual for the media/discs it will play and perhaps change from Imation to another brand like Verbatim or TDK
    dash - and plus + media are commonplace I'd just check your players list ... not too sure on the Xbox I am not good there.
    try different media I had probs with Imation
    hope it's that simple
    happy burning and tell us how you go
    cheers

4. dvdmum

dvdmum Member

Thankyou binkie7 and sorrow93 for your help.

I did burn at Max speed as suggested in the guide, will try using a different brand such as Verbatim and reduce the burn speed.

I really appreciate your help, and hope this works.

dvdmum:)

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

You're welcome dvdmum

Keep us posted!

Check and make sure the firmware on the burner is up to date too.

6. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@dvdmum
    you're welcome. I thought about your problem overnight - you know there is a much more simple way of backing up dvds if you are new (and I am too) you could try the 21-day free trial of "clone dvd" along with it's brother "any dvd" they are tiny download files and one of the most simple to use software that will break any protection.
    easy to install and easier to use... decrypter and shrink the guides are almost ten pages I would recommend you try Any + Clone from the official SlySoft website...
    trying to help?
    any and clone are highly recommended by many, many afterdawn members
    goodluck!!

7. dvdmum

dvdmum Member

thanks sorrow93, have been away the past few days, will try and get to the shops and get a different brand of media soon.

I had a sony DVD+RW here at home and tried it, I changed the burn speed to x2. Again, it too worked on the computer but not on my actual DVD player. My player asked to format it therefore deleteting everything off the disk, so then I tried putting the movie on the disk again and playing it....but didn't work.

It is frustrating me........

I haven't checked the firmware yet.

But thankyou for letting me know about the other programs, when I get another few hours (I need hours because I am so slow at understanding), I will give them a go.

Thankyou, I really appreciate as much help as I am given!!!
    - dvdmum:)

8. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I try to help although I am new to dvd-burning myself... I think I may have noticed something you said a dvd+rw ?? I do not think alot of players like the rw - if you burn directly to a dvd-r or dvd+r that might totally solve the problem... let us know
    re-writables I believe have playback issues in certain players.
    invest in some write-once media and you might be happy :)
    cheers
    goodluck I do hope you get this problem solved