1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No audio for several minutes

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by level26, Feb 5, 2007.

1. level26

level26 Member

I have a small phillips home theater 5.1 w/dvd system. Recently, when I turn it on to play a dvd, radio, tv or any audio at all.. it is silent for anywhere from 5-60 minutes, then it kicks in. The video always works, but no audio at first. So when I want to watch a movie I'll turn it on to FM radio and go about my business, then later when I hear the audio kick in for the radio, I'll switch it to dvd and can then watch my movie.

Any ideas what can cause this initial silence? Fuses, power supply, etc??

Thanks

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

this is an odd one for sure.
    The only thing I can think off initially would be the capacitors in the unit. Having said that, I can not be sure if they are the caps in the power circuits or the in the final audio output stage.

I would say it needs a service call which may or maynot be lots of $$$

I would be interested to hear what others think!

Good luck

3. level26

level26 Member

It's a cheap system, so I'd rather not pay to have it fixed. Its a Phillips MRD-200. I've read about others with similar problems, but nobody has any suggested solutions.

behrad, thanks for your feedback.

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

my pleasure. I am not sure I helped any :)

If i was you, and you did not want to spend the money on it I would do the following.

I would open the unit (only if is out of warrant and only if you are confident with working with electrical units. PLEASE do not do this if you are not familiar with AC electricity) to have a good looksy inside.
    If possible, take a look with a oscilloscope to see what you can see in the power line as well as the audio output stages.

It seems like this unit needs to warm up but you say it takes different amount of times to warm up. is that correct?

i would look to see all of the correct voltages are present when the unit is not playing. you may find that an electrolytic capacitor is the cause but locating it with out test equipment and a circuit diagram maybe difficult.