1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no desktop icons or task bar

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by new2this2, Sep 13, 2007.

1. new2this2

new2this2 Member

I was at my friends house and lets say that he dont know anything about computers. So the problem is that he had a verybad spyware problem so i downloaded spybot for him and told him, at the same time to help him with his spyware problem i was downloading and installing the latest version of internet explorer. his computer is very slow so left and told him to call me when everything is finished downloading and scanning. Well he turned shutdown the computer before internet explorer was finished installing, and now when he turns on the computer he has no desktop icons or task bar, what is the problem and how can i fix it

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

First start the computer and press F8 repeatedly. When a selection screen comes up select "Last Known Good Configuration" That should correct the problem.

The other thing that I would suggest is not using IE7. Instead download Firefox and add the security extensions and add ons so that it will work properly. This includes adding IETab to the add on list.

Spybot is a great program but it does not find everything. Download these programs as well.
    Ad-Aware Lavasoft Link
    A Squared 3 Free Link
    CCleaner Link

After the machine is clean including the registry tools on CCleaner I would suggest using ERUNT as a registry backup and NTREGOPT to optimize the registry system. Be sure to read on how everything works or you will not be successful. CCleaner has two different cleaning options and I would suggest you run them both. Make a backup of the registry if you desire, but most everything CCleaner finds needs to go. I have never had it make an error.

Good luck and let me know if you get the system up and running.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007