1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no picture on TRV 38, common problem

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Modify_in, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Modify_in

Modify_in Member

My camera is only 15 months old and worked perfectly fine since I have had it. Yesterday, I tried using it, but only get a black screen (both lcd and viewfinder) when in camera mode. When I press the record button, the screen is still black. Then when I playback what I just recorded in vcr mode, the screen is still black but the sound from when I recorded works. Otherwise, I can see and use all the touch screen functions on the lcd (the tape minutes, battery life, fn button and camera mode), and I can play back a previous tape and see the picture in vcr mode. I guess my question is, Can I fix it? How can I fix it? Is it a setting problem? Everything works fine EXCEPT I get a black screen (no picture) on the lcd and viewfinder when in camera mode. Please help!

And yes, the cap is off, lol...

After further researching it seems to be a problem w/ most of this years models DCR-HC20 / DCR-HC30 GARBAGE DCR-HC65 / DCR-HC85 CHEAPJUNK
    It appears the first to use the same 680k CCD. A likely culprit for this problem.

I called Sony, and they said try to reset it, if it doesn't work, send $269, and they will fix it. I asked what could have caused it, I take very good care of my camera. The Sony rep, said don't worry about it, it's probably not your fault, its Sony. Great, I thought, but she said your still out of warranty though.

I've read that other have had the same problem right after there warranty went out. If Sony knows there's a problem, why don't they admit it, and fix it or do a recall. I just put my camera on charge, and the next morning no picture when I turned it on. I am so upset w/ Sony right now.

I wish there was something I could do, $269 is alot of money. The rep even said it was high.

Mike

2. baffled

baffled Member

Where did you research Sony DCR-HC30?
    I just purchased one. The software Picture Package bundled with the camera is useless. The HandyCam is great quality using MS Movie Maker.

I can't "send to DV", but I think that's a firewire glich with my Audigy card or cabling. The send is too slow.

Should I anticipate the same problem with DCR-HC30?

Should I return my Handycam?

What specifically went wrong?

Did they explain reseting the camera?
    What's the procedure?