1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

norton antivirus BIG PROBLEM!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DaOsT, Jan 24, 2004.

1. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

I have just installed norton firewall and norton antivirus onto a Friends pc and firewall worked fine so did antivirus until I came to register and wallop the comp froze ....no big problem I figured so turned it off and turned it back on and no still the same problem sometimes now it will not boot up fully and freeze's with the sand timer showing constantly on the bottom of the taskbar and once you click on an icon on the screen that freezes then to .....the computer responds to nothing and I just turn it off then back on again only to have the same thing happen over and over and over

I am TRULY At a loss and dont fancy having to buy a new PC I think n hope that if need be I could start the pc from scratch by booting up with the windows cd in but I dont want to do that unless it truly is neccessary please help as I truly am lost and need to fix this problem big time

thanxs one n all

DaOsT

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

if you have quite alot of things in your start up menu when you boot up and then you add norton antivirus and firewall is it possible to have to much in your start up menu that your pc does not have enuff memory to boot up fully so it freezes?

never heard of it before but I am trying to think of things it could be as I reboot the pc and it gets to a different stage every time it boots up afore freezing

DaOsT

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Need specs! :) Check ur memory also :)

4. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

which version of norton antivirus?2003,2004
    i have come across this before ended up booting into safe mode removing norton etc cleaning up the registry
    etc

5. sroyeton

sroyeton Guest

Your biggest mistake is buying from Symantec (Norton) big computer killer company along with AOL. I just started using a new antivirus program called NOD32. It has done an excellent job so far. Better than any other I have used. Go to their website http://www.nod32.com, I think you might be impressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2004
  6. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Hi There
    Have been looking at nod can you tell me if it's any good at all, cos i have just spent ****** ages sorting out a virus that the wonderfull NORTON decided to pass through as clean, this with up to date definitions

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Doofy,

Every time I have seen a problem with Norton AV, it has been caused by an installation or configuration issue.

Can you please tell us what the Virus was that Norton ignored, as this could be a Serious Problem as LOTS of people rely upon it.

Cheers...

8. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Hiya Dr Chips

Unfortunately i deleted everything to do with it earlier on, although i am bound to get it again. It arrived in an email while my other half was using my comp i never ever look at emails with attachments let alone run them, weird thing is when i came to look at it my Norton auto protect wasn't running had to reinstall it to get it working again, although it was a ok prior to the email.

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Doofy,

Have you checked your Firewall?

I have seen this a few times, a poorly configured firewall lets an illegal packet through, or the firewall itself goes insane, which can kill the Autoprotect service.

Have you got email protect configured?
    It would have taken BOTH of those services to be faulty to let the virus through!!

Have Fun...

10. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

Praetor its a medion 3.06 gighrz pretty sure
    512 mb ram
    160 gig hard drive
    was on sale at Aldi before xmas n the spec was fuckin awesome to be honest

Doofy I just restarted the pc someone was searching xxx sites done summat n when I installed norton (I dunno how comps think) but the both of em kinda puissed each other of n figured hey the pc wont start anymore .......so I re installed windows xp pro n comp is ticking over GREAT it now has norton firewall n antivirus 2003 peerguardian v12.99 spybot and adaware v6.0 not sure on the latest version of that dun use it much if anyone knows other GOOD things to protect us from the idiots out the then please post

drchips big thanxs to you for all the info your provided on the other thread

over n out

DaOst

11. sroyeton

sroyeton Guest

NOD32 is an awesome program. Little known though. I understand it has been used by the government for a long time now. Nothing but praise for it. It caught one e-mail someone tried to send with viruses. It got past my Zone Alarm Firewall and my Email Watchdog but not my NOD32.