1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

notebook hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by urmymom, Mar 6, 2005.

1. urmymom

urmymom Member

my hard drive is going bad. i am being sent a new one, but i am not sure how i can copy all my info to the new one. i have an external hard drive.

i dont want to loose all my settings, etc. so i would love to transfer all my info to the new one.

any suggestions on how to do this?

i have an hp zd7140.

please i dont want to start all over....

TIA

jackie

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could use ghost to copy info from 1 drive to another. i've done it a # of times with win98se but haven't done it from an internal drive to external or vice versa

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

GHOST should work with two external or one internal and one external...i wouldnt see why it shouldnt...you should be fine using GHOST to mirror one to the other

4. urmymom

urmymom Member

GHOST should work with two external or one internal and one external...i wouldnt see why it shouldnt...you should be fine using GHOST to mirror one to the other

so i would use ghost and send the image to my external. replace the going bad hd with the new one (on my notebook) i am assuming that there is a startup disk that will come with ghost? if so i would put this in and start the computer (non formated or partitioned) and ghost will do the rest? or do i have to partition first.

does anyone know if my notebook hard drive is the same as a full hard drive? pin size?

could it be this easy?

jackie

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the ghost i have is version 5.1c & is about 600k in size. your laptop drive is 2.5" across wereas the external drive is probably 3.5" across, so not pin compatible

6. urmymom

urmymom Member

the ghost i have is version 5.1c & is about 600k in size. your laptop drive is 2.5" across wereas the external drive is probably 3.5" across, so not pin compatible

thats what i thought...

so now how?

if someone could provide step by step that would be great......

jackie

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Drive Image 7.0 will also do the trick and does work with external drives. I have two HD's in this system and I have Drive Image make an automatic complete backup at 2:00 AM every day. I keep 7 days worth just in case I need to redo the entire HD exactly back the way it was. It takes less then 15 minutes to do a backup and that is while Windows XP is running. It also takes about the same amount of time to do a full restore.

Edit: That time frame is based on a 160 Gig HD with 14 Gigs used.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

There is a way that will cost about $30-$60. Go to any computer store. There you will find a device that you can put your notebook hard drive in. This device then makes the Hard drive USB. Plug it into any USB port and then you can access the notebooks hard drive.

Then you create a folder on the working computer and copy all your stuff to that folder. Unplug the device from the computer and place the new Notebook hard drive into the device.(After windows is installed of course). Now you can copy that folder onto the new drive. Take the new drive out of the device and place it back in your Notebook.

Here is what I am talking about http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4079702?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG. They are called USB Hard Drive Enclosures. They are far cheaper on E-bay about $5 - $20.

Just thought I would throw that in. Is the easiest way I know of the tranfer data from one notebook hard drive to another.

good luck
    -Del