1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTFS ENCRYPTION problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by madman91, Apr 23, 2005.

1. madman91

madman91 Member

Hello,
    I had to reformat my harddrive for my yearly format. So i backed up my files with STomp Back up my Pc. All went well after format and i restored all my files onto a folder on my desktop called restored. When i tried viewing my pictures it showed no preview. When i tried listening to music it just didnt play. So i realized then that before the format i had enabled ntfs encryption on my music and picture files. Is there anyway to decrypt these files? I have tried right clicking the folder going to properties and de activating these encryptions. I have also tried right clicking then going go to properties and going to security-->advanced-->owner--> i chose my name and checked the box. applied it and no luck.

p.s. moderator please put this in the right topic

Thanks in Advance
    -Greg S.

2. madman91

madman91 Member

?
    Any ideas at all would be wonderful. If i lose these files i lose over a year of cd's and pictures i do not longer own :'(

3. madman91

madman91 Member

HELLO? anybody home

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Unless you backed up the encryption key to a floppy or cd (it will be a .pfx file) there isn't a way I know of to recover the files. They really need to emphasize that more when you encrypt files and prompt you to create a recovery floppy in my opinion.

5. madman91

madman91 Member