1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC and PAL

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mondo55, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mondo55

mondo55 Guest

Ok, i downloaded a movie that i'm almost positive is PAL beucase right in the .nfo it says
    Format: [X] PAL [ ] NTSC

This sucks couse i spent 2 days downloading it and have no idea if i can even play it. So 2 questions....

1) how can i tell if my dvd player can play it? (or can PS2 or XBOX play it? I'm from Canada btw so i bought both here if that matters) and..

2) How, if i must, do i convert this to NTSC...i don't care if it takes a whole day...jut wanna do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what file type is it?

AVI - MPEG - MPEG2 - etc etc......

3. mondo55

mondo55 Guest

It's a bunch of rars and when i extract it's a .img file..does this help?

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

use ultraiso to look inside the img file and extract it to a folder of your chioce!

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

To add a little, if it is an img file, and is indeed PAL, then you've got to do two things. Like Rotary says, you've got to "extract" the files -- probably a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB files in it -- from the image. Since they are RAR files, if you already have Winrar, once you have the img file extracted from the RAR files, open the img file up in Winrar! Winrar can extract the contents of img files.

Once you have the VIDEO_TS and VOB files extracted, you'll have to convert them from PAL to NTSC. The easiest way I know of to do this is with NeroVision Express. I've converted several PAL movies to NTSC with it. The process is slow -- it will take 3 hours or so, typically, to transcode from PAL to NTSC. And you'll lose things, if they exist, in the PAL -- like any original menus, subtitles, etc. But you can get a basic, viewable movie transcoded this way.
    Well, if if said it was PAL in the .nfo, then you were forewarned, and shouldn't have downloaded it if you were prepared to go through the hassle of converting it. Or did you not read the .nfo until after you downloaded it?

6. mondo55

mondo55 Guest

I could only open the .nfo after i had already downlaoded it....is there a away to just download the .nfo that u know of?

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

did you get it working????????????????