1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok Just to let you know im a newbie, and i need help. please

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by manifesto, Nov 8, 2003.

1. manifesto

manifesto Guest

ok i just bought my dvd+r writer, its a tdk 420n, ive never backed up any dvd movies. now that i got a dvd burner i wanna do that. what do i need to do? nero express came with the burner, and i also got record now on my computer. so please anyone with knowledge let me know whats the process.

2. koola

koola Guest

First of all, you got a shit burner! Get a Pioneer 106 or Optorite DD0206 or the new lite-on burner.

To backup your movies, you can use DVD Shrink (free), DVD Decrypter (free), CloneDVD + AnyDVD (both trial), DVD2one (buy) or Nero Vision Express (trial).

3. manifesto

manifesto Guest

hey look i appreciate your help, but keep you comments to yourself. what makes you think that after i just bought this burner im going to go and exchange it just because you dont like it.? i already got dvd decrypter, but mostly all of my dvd's are over 4.3gb. what do i do than?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

5. manifesto

manifesto Guest

i have read the guides. i know you need ifoedit or some program of that name. but they say it doesnt work properly with windows xp. i just wanted to know what other program can be used to take out the "special feature" "subtitles" and all the stuff that you really wouldnt want other than the movie itself. since i cant use ifo i just wanted to know what other programs can i use that are compatible witn windows xp.

6. koola

koola Guest

All of the program I mentioned above will work fine in WinXP. Use the guides here at AD or at my site, simpleguides. Guides are made for Newbies!

7. manifesto

manifesto Guest

thank you very much boys and girls

8. koola

koola Guest

No problem :D

9. manifesto

manifesto Guest

Koola im having problems man. this is whats going on. i downloaded both programs, dvd encrypter and dvd shrink. this is what i want to do, i want to back up a copy of "28 days later". i read and followed both guides, but im at a dead end.at first i loaded the movie with dvd encrypter, it said that my file was Size: 8,323,336,192 bytes well over the amount that the guide for dvd encrypter said. so i download dvd shrink. and when i go there, it read the movie and the green bar was completly full. i read in the guide for dvd shrink that if this happened i had a dvd-5, and that i need dvd encrypter. so i go back to dvd encrypter, and do the whole process again. and when its time to write the movie i get this " no enough space on disk, do you still want to continue." testing it, i click yes, it starts to write, but halfway the damn thing stopped because of an error. dammn it.!!! what the hell i going on, wich one of the two programs do i need? i went back to dvd shrynk and i wasnt able to write the disc as well. what the hell am i doing wrong?

10. manifesto

manifesto Guest

Koola im having problems man. this is whats going on. i downloaded both programs, dvd encrypter and dvd shrink. this is what i want to do, i want to back up a copy of "28 days later". i read and followed both guides, but im at a dead end.at first i loaded the movie with dvd encrypter, it said that my file was Size: 8,323,336,192 bytes well over the amount that the guide for dvd encrypter said. so i download dvd shrink. and when i go there, it read the movie and the green bar was completly full. i read in the guide for dvd shrink that if this happened i had a dvd-5, and that i need dvd encrypter. so i go back to dvd encrypter, and do the whole process again. and when its time to write the movie i get this " no enough space on disk, do you still want to continue." testing it, i click yes, it starts to write, but halfway the damn thing stopped because of an error. dammn it.!!! what the hell i going on, wich one of the two programs do i need? i went back to dvd shrynk and i wasnt able to write the disc as well. what the hell am i doing wrong?

11. koola

koola Guest

First of all you need DVD Decrypter to identify if it is DVD9 (9GB) or DVD5 (4.7GB).
    To do this follow these steps:

1. Start DVD Decrypter
    2. Goto Mode and select ISO then read.
    3. Incert your DVD into your Drive.
    4. Select drive in DVD Decypter from the pop down menu under SOURCE.
    Now, look to the right as some info about the DVD should have come up. Under DISC INFORMATION, it will tell you the size. If it is bigger than 4.7 GB, you have a DVD9. You can also tell by looking further down for the number of layer, DVD9 has 2 (Duel), DVD5 has 1 (Single)

If its DVD9, use DVD Shrink.
    If its DVD5, use DVD Decrypter.

Hope this helps :D

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Manifesto, DVD Shrink is probably all you need to edit dvd's. Then you need a burning program. I use Nero 6 with Shrink. What have you tried, and how far did you get? I just read what you tried above. I have done both DVD 5's & Dvd 9's with shrink. If you use the re-author part of shrink you can get the size down to what you need (about 4.3gig)But re-author won't let extras like the menu work. Jerry

Last edited: Nov 9, 2003
  13. denizen6

denizen6 Member

don't go knocking the tdk 420n i have burned everything with it why would you want to burst the guy's bubble
    dvd decrypter is good
    i also use dvd shrink which is free
    28 day's later was no problem
    let it preview & load the movie then hit backup
    your set you should have all the files ready for burning
    then i use nero 5.10 not 6 (preference)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  14. manifesto

manifesto Guest

i appreciate all the help and comments that you guys have giving me, but i have finally gotten my first dvd back up copy done!!! i found out that it was alot easier with anydvd and clonedvd. like someone have told me. i suggest these two programs for anyone thats just starting backing up their dvd's its easy. 1,2,3. and wham, bam, thank you ma'm you got yourself a copy.