1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Geezer needs help with VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by lemyou, Nov 3, 2004.

1. lemyou

lemyou Guest

First of all let me make this clear--- I have read some of the posts of self-proclaimed NEWBIES and they sound like geniuses to me. So, with that in mind, please forgive my lack of more sophisticated terminology.-----
    I have a whole bunch of VHS tapes,, some are VERY old and contain home made movies that are very precious to me. I would like to transfer these to VIDEO DISCS.

This is what I have in terms of Hardware and software. Again, if I am giving too much info—or not enough--please forgive and consider my ignorance with respect to this discipline.

My Machine has a Pentium R4 CPU --- 1.99Ghz/256mb. Ram
    My OS is Windows XP
    I have a SONY Double Layer DVD/CD Rewritable drive. With plenty of DVD+RW discs—And a bunch of CD+/--- etc…..
    I have NERO 6 installed as well as Decrypter and Shrink. And I even have Xcopy.
    I also have an old TOSHIBA VCR and a couple of TVs as well as a fancy RCA DVD Player--- it even has its own 6" screen for viewing.

What I need is someone who can tell me, in simple terms, if this is enough to transfer my PRECIOUS tapes to DISCS.
    If the answer is NO,,, then I would be grateful to know what additional Hardware/Software I need.
    If the answer is YES--- then --- instructions on how to hook this up and what to do would make me as happy as a dog with two bones.

2. RdCruiser

RdCruiser Member

Lemyou

I went through the same thing you're going through as far as recovering my VHS tapes and converting them to a digital format in order to save to a DVD or CD. It sounds like you have most of the hardware and software to accomplish the task. The process is time consuming but it works.

First you will need a capture device to convert analog (VHS) to digital so it can be burned onto a DVD or CD. (I use an external box from ADS Technology http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp that can be purchased for a little over $100. You can also find capture cards that can be installed into your computer from your local computer store.)

When capturing the video, be sure to have plenty of hard disc space. There are software programs available that will burn the captured video to DVD.

I know this is isn't step by step instructions but it will at least give you some direction. Let me know how you come along with your project. I'm still learning myself.

RdCruiser

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

lemyou, I am no Spring chicken, myself. :) I am now doing the same thing that you want to do. I purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 350 capture card. I plug the VCR into the card and download the video to my hard drive.

I then take the video into Roxio EMC7 (Nero, to me, is not user friendly), edit the video, then burn to a DVD.

The capture card that I have was about $190 U.S. when I purchase it about 3 months ago.

4. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Granpa--- Hmmm---, yup, that sure does not sound like a spring chicken! Vietnam,,, Right?
    Well, I was at Normandy Beach--- a few years earlier.
    OK... so, looks like I will need to spend another $200. No problem,,, I really don't want to leave a large estate anyhow.
    I am now wearing a black arm-band, but wehen I have finished greiving (Yesterdays election) I will reume my project.
    Thanks for your input, I'm sure you have put me on the right track.

5. RdCruiser

RdCruiser Member

There is one more option....and I'm going to look into it myself. eBay has DVD Recorders that are stand alone units that can be purchased for a little over $100. One model is the Gateway AR-230. This will cut out the computer out of the loop and may be all you need anyway.

6. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Rd, Thanks. Keep us posted.

7. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Decided to check out this Gateway AR-230 Stand-alone DVD Player Recorder.
    Tweaknews.net presented an EXCELLENT review on it.
    Apparently this unit will convert analog video, like what VHS is, ---to digital data, as required for transferring Video data to laser discs.
    The article by Nathan Glentworth (Owner, Head Editor & Hardware Reviewer) was so complete and compelling I bought one, I expect delivery sometime next week and if it is NEARLY as good as it is cracked-up to be I will let Y’all know.
    For that mater--- I will also let you know if it aint---