1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG!!! 0_o? Is this even possible?!?!?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mndogydud, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mndogydud

mndogydud Member

Ok, so I was at my school, i had to download a big file so I could get good average of the school network. I'm going to explain something first, I know of only 3 networks, dial up, dsl, braodband, and I'm pretty sure broadband is the fastest at a max of about 320 kb/s. Now the school uses crappy macintosh computers because it's all they can afford for about 100 computers, soooo any way here;s the thing,

THE SCHOOLS NETWORK DOWNLOADS AT 560 TO 700 KB/S!!!!!!!!!

Is this even possible, I have no idea how they got it this fast, I wish I had it this fast.

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

kb/s or kB/s? (There's a difference)

But no, broadband can go up to pretty high speeds, the highest in Britain i know of is 27mb/s (3.4mB/s). I've seen people get 35mb/s in other countries, though there could be higher, and technology is constantly improving.

NB: kb = kilobit, kB = kilobyte. A kilobit is 8 times smaller than a kilobyte.

3. mndogydud

mndogydud Member

I know the difference and I said kilbytes if you want me to be very specific.

4. rokmsokm

rokmsokm Member

Too bad.... I'm sittin on an OC3 that's juiced to 44 Mbps that is 44 mega bits per second or 5.5 mega BYTES per second....

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mndogydud, watch the attitude.

6. duxfox

duxfox Member

not wanting to interfere ddp, but (if im not mistaken) i dont think that was attitude but like i said, i COULD be mistaken and that COULD be attitude by the stated person, but i myself saw it just as a strong note, you know, to make sure the other party understands what he meant =D otherwise i can be gravely mistaken and get all the blame

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem as just want to make certain a flamewar does start & i have to finish it.

8. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

I think there is 100mb/s in london.

EDIT

It is only 100mb/s trials,so i quess not everyone can get it yet,but as they are trials it wont be long before we all start getting those speeds.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  9. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Also, your school as well as the school's ISP might be using a server that saves recent files in cache to speed up frequent downloads. I've setup MS ISA servers before and it makes a huge difference when downloading frequent files such as anti-virus updates or Windows updates. Of course, most organizations would use WSUS for Windows updates and a corporate version of anti-virus for pushing out updates. It also helps for loading popular websites, especially if it contains lots of graphics.

Finally, it's possible to combine multiple WAN ports to increase speed. Let's say the fastest connection you can get is a T1 (about 1.5 mb) and you need more speed than that. You can purchase two T1's with the proper hardware and join them together for about a 3 mb connection. There's some overhead, so it's not exactly double the speed, but it does increase. This can be done with cable and dsl as well.