1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the fly problems with Pioneer DVR 108

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by neo265, Sep 16, 2004.

1. neo265

neo265 Member

Having a few problems running DVD-r to DVD-r with the about writer. Its a 16 speed writer and Im using 8X Datawrite Disks. When Im copying a DVD-r film onto a blank DVD-r using on the fly from a Pioneer DVD Rom I seem to be running into all sorts of problems. The majority of the time I just get coasters. When it copies, the main cache meter starts at 100% but drops to just runs at 0 - 2% most of the way and the buffer on the writer is up and down like a fidlers elbow. This eventually leads to a coaster.

What do you think is up with it? The old pioneer 4x worked fine. I did run a read speed test and it recorded average of 3x which is lower than Im trying to write at, this is clearly the reason but how do I fix it?

Just formatted and reinstalled windows XP
    Nero 6
    Athlon XP 1800
    256MB Ram
    Pioneer 4x DVD Rom
    Pioneer 16x DVD-R/WR

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Don't attempt silly things like high speed on the fly copying. In order to get the best results while doing an OTF copy the reader needs to be set to max and the writer needs to be set at the same speed or preferably lower in order to avoid the buffers draining. With your 4X reader that means a 4X write. You can't burn any faster than ROM can read.

You're going to get much better results by writing a temp image to the HD and it won't take hardly any longer than a 4X read/write by allowing your burner to run at full speed.

3. neo265

neo265 Member

Sorry,Its not a 4x rom....duhh I think its a 16x ROM nero reports the speeds as 2x, 4x, 8x and Max so its around 12x-16x.

When running the speed test it starts a 3x (inside of disk) and finishes around 8x-9x and then posts a message that it can only write at 4x not 8x due to the source drive being slow. But if ive set the read speed on Max, it should be faster then 8x.

I dont know a great deal about this machine as its a mates, the manufactuers labels only say so much.

4. Nephilim

Are the drives on the same IDE?

5. neo265

neo265 Member

No, both DVDs are on seperate channels.

6. Nephilim

It's hard to say at this point. Doing an OTF burn at 4X is really pushing a sytem's resources so my best guess at this point is that an 8X OTF burn is well beyond your system's capabilities.

I've been at this game a bit and can tell you that life is much better when you write a temp file to the HD. In reality very little time is lost and the burner keeps is buffers good and full. If you still insist on OTF then I'd highly suggest sticking to a 4X burn instead of piling up the coasters pursuing faster speeds.

You might also want to update firmwares for both drives, double check your jumper settings and make sure your using an 80 pin cable for the drives :)