1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TS XR604 Tripping out

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by jimp55, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jimp55

jimp55 Member

I have an Onkyo TS XR604 and suddenly, for some reason, when specific commercials come on or when I change to certain channels the reciever looses the signal. I turn the receiver off and then on and all is well.

I thought it was the cable box at first so I re-booted it and it appears O.K.

Anyone have any thoughts

Thanks,

Jim

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Do you have component cables going from cable box to receiver, and then out from receiver with HDMI, to tv? If so, go straight from cable box to tv with the component cables. Or use HDMI from cable box to receiver.

3. jimp55

jimp55 Member

Thanks for the note.

I have HDMI cable from cable box (COX CABLE) to receiver and from receiver to television. I now have disconnected receiver and have HDMI directly from cable box to T.V. All seem O.K. except the sound is not so good.

I think it has something to do with the with the "listening Mode" Normally when it changes commercials or stations, you can hear/see the listening mode change. I just don't know. I am probably going to wind up buying a new receiver. Looking at a Denon now in the internet world.

Thanks again,

Jim

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  4. JVC

JVC Active member

With HDMI going straight from cable box to tv, use a digital coax or optical cable from cable box to receiver for audio. Of course, you'll need to make the changes in the receiver's setup menus, to allow for it. Since cable tv doesn't broadcast HD audio, there's no reason for the audio to go through the HDMI.

5. jimp55

jimp55 Member

6. jimp55

jimp55 Member

I understand what you say, but it seems funny that this system has worked O.K. for over 5 years and this just happened.

I will try your suggestion to see if It can get me by, I do enjoy the DTS/Dolby/etc. when I watch a movie and the "Concert Hall" setting when listening to my Ipod.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate your help.

Jim

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I think you are over loading your amp. The circuit protection in the amp is keeping you from frying your amp. I bet when you lose your station you hear silence not static. If you here static I guessed wrong. I suspect you have great base response on your speakers. What ever you are playing is interjecting some low notes. Low notes require more power than high notes. The lower the note the more power it takes. This doesn't effect speakers that can't produce the note. Only persons with a great system will experience these types of problems.

The give away is that adds which usually play much louder than the normal programming is causing some of the problems. Because of low band width for radio, the highs may be attenuated but lows are not effected by low bandwidth since they require the least bandwidth. Try cutting back on the volume 30%. I bet that will 'fix' the problem. If so, you may want to buy a more powerful amp. What you have is sufficient to run speakers that lack good base but any note below 10 Hz could blow it out even at very low volume. Anything below 20 Hz is felt not heard. Notes below 10 Hz shake the ground and masonry.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  8. jimp55

jimp55 Member

9. jimp55

jimp55 Member

Thanks for the note. I kind of understand what you are saying and do appreciate the response.

As stated above, I have not changed anything for over four years and all seem to have worked fine. It is just an "all of a sudden" deal. Watching a baseball game and the system dropped out. It hasn't been the same since.

I just don't understand it. I think the Onkyo is dead, but am putting in new HDMI cables, just in case.

Thanks again to all,

Jim

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012