1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'openseason' - do really need ri4m, decrypt, etc...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by acabeo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. acabeo

acabeo Member

I use DVD Shrink and it auto starts Nero burning, (AnyDVD running in background) I dont usually have a problem but as you guys know 'open season' is wrapped tight. I read last night that ripit4me was good so i dl'd that, so now I'm wondering if I can back it up using what I have now. ripit4me is a little confusing because it askes for DVD Decrypter, is decrypter necessary to run ripit4me? in the past I've been ok with shrink and AnyDVD. do I really need 2 more programs for backing up my 'open season'?

(thanks for setting me straight Ihoe ;)

2. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

i was always told that ripit needs dvddecrypter to work, but i always use dvdfab it works all by its self,i had no trouble when doing this movie with dvdfab.. hope this helps..

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

acabeo,

If you already have AnyDVD that should work just fine I would only stress that you make sure you have the latest release of the software installed on your system. The newest version is 6.1.1.4 and just so you know I did this movie with that latest version of AnyDVD just fine I did however use CloneDVD2 to shrink and record the movie, but Shrink and Nero should work just fine.

4. acabeo

acabeo Member

Thanks guys, this helps alot.
    My Anydvd runs in the background but I hear others talk about ripping with it, is this the same program, or is there another version of Anydvd that i should purchase?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

AnyDVD is not a ripping prgram at all! Others are just confused either in there wording or what AnyDVD actually does.

Look here AnyDVD Description for a full definition of what AnyDVD is designed to do. If you do want to purchace another program that goes along very well with AnyDVD I would suggest you buy CloneDVD2 located at the same site you purchased AnyDVD.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. acabeo

acabeo Member

thanks bbmayo , thats what i was getting at

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem and good luck :)

8. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

@bbmayo,

just for clarification, you CAN rip with anydvd, right? right click on the fox icon and choose "rip video dvd to hard disk"? i had read a while ago that there were some issues with that function, maybe just with a particular release of anydvd.

between the free programs dvdfab/vobblanker and ripit4me, and the retail anydvd, one can do just about anything one wants once past the early learning curve.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@surfgeo,

To the best of my knowledge AnyDVD will not rip a DVD it needs to use another aplication for this process which you can set up in the options of AnyDVD.

From FAQ Slysoft website about AnyDVD
    Now I could be wrong about this if AnyDVD has changed something recently, but I will check when I get home later.

Cheers!

My Edit
    I take that back you can rip with the newer versions of AnyDVD, but it is not really ripping it is just copying with a little bit of support in FixVTS. Actually with AnyDVD running all you really need to do is open explorer and copy your DVD to any folder you wish to. This isn't really ripping because if you don't have AnyDVD running even those files copied onto the hard drive would still have all the encryption on them so AnyDVD would need to be running in the back ground for you to use what ever software you decide to use after that. So if you just want to basically backup your DVD on the fly I would say use CloneDVD 2 with AnyDVD, but if you like to play around with other programs for burning and compression then I would recommend using another program to decrypt/rip the DVD instead of AnyDVD. Again as i always say though Different strokes for different folks! Use what ever you are most comfortable with.

Cheers!

10. Mez

Mez Active member

What ever works is always great. I have had the best luck ripping with ripit4me when it comes to new releases with new types of protection. I keep several different tools they all have strengths that can come in handy.

Back to the original question...

Ripit4me is mostly a shell. The main thing it does is is figures out how to rip the puppy. The protectors have used up all the ways to encrypt videos years before DVD Decrypter became unsupported. Now the protectors 'play' with info files, putting bad info the the files that 'tells' a ripper to do something wrong. DVD Decrypter can use external ripping info that ripit4me makes.

I also use DVD Decrypter to burn instead of Nero after I bought a batch of marginal media. DVD Decrypter burned them fine I have continued that practice. It is a little slower but I like it better.

AnyDVD is a nice tool since it works so differently.