1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DD0405 Should I Upgrade??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Unjust2u, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello, I have a question? I have an Optorite DD0405 dvd + - burner and was wondering if i should upgrade? I have not really had any issues with this burner when i use quality media, such as verbatim +r's, but was wondering if i should upgrade to a more quality dvd burner? Has anyone heard any horror stories about optorite DD0405? /P.S when i use cheap media on this burner it always skips like when i use cmc mag / Unjust

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm personally not a fan of Optorite and have seen many folks have a tough time getting theirs to work properly. Having said that, you can't argue with success so if you're getting good results you may as well stick with it. I wouldn't hold bad results with cheap media against the burner since bad media gives bad results in just about any burner :)

If you still feel like moving on to a new one then you can't go wrong with Plextor or Pioneer. I've also been hearing good things about NEC so you may want to look at them since they're incredibly inexpensive:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/185972

3. mushrew

mushrew Member

my DD405 just died today...ended up getting the NEC 3520 from newegg. i was burning something, finished burning and quit the program. the drive kept on going though, spinning the disk and writing something (who knows what but the red light was flashing). wouldn't stop, forced a reboot when it hung on shutdown, won't read any media at all now.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully the NEC will be better!

5. phil2705

phil2705 Member

hi. i was wondeing if you had tried any go5's on your optorite before it died and what your results were. i tried the go4's and it wouldn't write to a go4 even though it would read one!!!!

6. howlling

howlling Guest

I have a Optorite 1205 and have burned gO5 disc almost flawlessly. In all honesty I have had it since November 2004 and haven't have any real problems. I am having some issues with the current Prodiscs though.