1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS shows wrong Drive Letter

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by John375, Apr 20, 2005.

1. John375

John375 Guest

I have - - -
    - - - Two 36GB SCSI hard-drives, ID#1 and ID#2, each with WinXP installed
    - - - Usual Floppy attached
    - - - CD-Burner on EIDE-2 as a Master
    - - - All else is disconnected - (Removeable HD's & other burners)

I am not using any partitions, nor any RAID functions now
    The SCSI drives are connected via a LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card - (the LSI20320-R)
    I use different color desktops to easily identify the two WinXP's

I can bootup into either of the two WinXP Operating Systems
    Problem is that - - -
    - - - When booted into ID#1 WinXP, it reads as the C-Drive
    - - - When booted into ID#2 WinXP, it reads as the D-Drive - (Should read as C-drive)

a) That is, when booted into the first ID#1 WinXP, the drives are
    - - - Drive-A = Floppy
    - - - Drive-C = WinXP-SCSI-1 - - Booted into this, when this drive-picture taken
    - - - Drive-D = CD-RW
    - - - Drive-E = WinXP-SCSI-2

b) And, when booted into the second ID#2 WinXP, the drives are
    - - - Drive-A = Floppy
    - - - Drive-C = WinXP-SCSI-1
    - - - Drive-D = WinXP-SCSI-2 - - Booted into this, when this drive-picture taken
    - - - Drive-E = CD-RW

In (b) - when booted into WinXP-SCSI-2 - I need to get WinXP-SCSI-2 to read as the C-drive, not the D-drive. . . . Identifying this WinXP (when booted into it) as the D-drive is a problem as all Internet downloads and software-saves want to go to some folder in the C-drive, not the D-drive

For the record - rather than tediously install everything onto both HD's one hard-drive at a time - all was first installed to WinXP-SCSI-1 while it alone was connected. . . . And then a drive-image software was used to copy WinXP-SCSI-1 over into WinXP-SCSI-2. . . . . There may have been a problem in this copying, though, as the LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card Bios-Firmware were set to RAID-Mirroring at the time. . . . . I subsequently (after the copying was done) updated this Bios-Firmware to Non-RAID.

I have done this drive-image copying HD-to-HD before with no problem. . . .SCSI-to-EIDE or SCSI-to-SATA (or vice versa) were all fine. . . .But not when using two SCSI hard-drives connected to a SCSI-PCI-card that was set to RAID-Mirroring

Thanks in advance to all for any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  2. John375

John375 Guest

I thank all that made suggestions, as in the end, these suggestions got me to figuring-out what to do and shoved me in the right direction. . . . Particularly by "wander" at computing.net who triggered my search of the Internet. . . . And also by Adrian over at www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1114098981. . . . I am particularly thankful to the excellent articles at the site - www.goodells.net

Summarizing, I have - - -
    - - Two SCSI hard-drives, ID#1 and ID#2, with WinXP-SP2 installed on SCSI-1
    - - Usual Floppy attached
    - - CD-Burner on EIDE-2 as a Master
    - - All else is disconnected - (Removeable HD's & other burners)

I wish to OS-clone the WinXP on SCSI-1 over onto SCSI-2, retaining both OS's when done. . . . Thus, in the end, to be able to boot into either WinXP, as I choose during bootup

The first time that I did this OS-cloning, then subsequently booted into the SCSI-2 WinXP, it showed-up as the D-drive, whereas it should of indicated as being the C-drive. . . . So, clearly I did not do a good OS-cloning here

I am not using any partitions, nor any RAID functions now
    SCSI drives connect to a LSI Logic PCI-SCSI-card - (the LSI20320-R)

I use different color desktops to easily identify the two WinXP's
    - - - SCSI-1 is to be a blue desktop
    - - - SCSI-2 is to be a green desktop
    And in Windows Explorer, my drives are re-named as
    - - - WinXP-SCSI-1
    - - - WinXP-SCSI-2
    I do this desktop coloring & drive-naming on all my computers

For the record. my SCSI drives are Maxtor 36-GB SCSI-320. . . . Drivers must be installed during bootup, or the computer can not see these SCSI hard-drives. . . . Windows accepts these drivers, but often other softwares (many boot managers or recovery softwares) do not accept these drivers. . . . I was once told that this occurs because of how the drivers are packaged - that is, I guess, whether some parts of the drivers are in sub-folders. . . . Often, I just give-up on trying to use some softwares. . . . One day, maybe I will look into this driver-acceptance problem

One superb suggestion (by "wander" at computing.net) was to just to do a search-&-replace to replace all the c:\ entries with d:\. . . . . The suggestion was to use MS Word, though many third-party Reg-Editors also could do the task. . . . . I was hesitant to do this, as I was dealing with some 15,000 changes. . . . I was not sure that Word or a Reg-Editor would crash while attempting so many changes all-at-once. . . . I was to lazy to to think of doing it in parts. . . . And, I wanted a way of installing two WinXP's correctly on any computer

Another superb suggestion (by Adrian at www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1114098981) was to rename drive letters beforehand, then do the OS-cloning, and finalize by editing some Registry values. . . . I could not do his suggestion of booting-up and working from a Recovery CD - rather than working from within the WinXP on SCSI-1 - as I could not get the Maxtor SCSI-320 drivers to be accepted

Rel to - http:/www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm. . . . This article, How to Manage System and Boot Drive Letters, gives three methods on fixing OS drive letters. . . . I did not try these, as in my case, it was just better to re-do the OS-cloning the correct way.

Per - www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm - - - Dan Goodell states two general rules for successful cloning of NT-family OS's:

- - a) Do not let old-XP see the new partition before cloning. . . Doing so would give XP a chance to assign a drive letter, it will be remembered by the registry when it is cloned, and the clone will adopt the wrong drive letter for itself.

- - b) Do not let new-XP see the old-XP partition the first time it boots. . . If new-XP sees old-XP, it won't reuse the original drive letter when it assigns a drive letter to itself. (Once XP-2 has booted and reallocated new drive letters, the old-XP partition can be reintroduced into the system, if desired.)

Relative to (a), per Dan Goodell,

i - - It appears that one does not even want to connect the new SCSI-2 hard-drive - meaning a formatted hard-drive here - if one is planning on booting into the OS on SCS-1 hard-drive. . . . For then the Windows on SCSI-1 will stick a drive-letter on the new SCSI-2 hard-drive

ii - - It also appears that one has to do this OS-cloning from something other than being booted into the SCSI-1 WinXP and using a Windows based cloning software therein. . . Meaning the OS-cloning must be done from some DOS partition, from PowerQuest's Drive-Image Recovery CD, or from Norton's Ghost CD. . . (I have never used Ghost) . . . Otherwise there is no way to keep WinXP from seeing that new partition - (the other SCSI -2 hard-drive, in my case). . . . . . (I tried this, using a Drive-Image Recovery CD, but I could not get the SCSI-320 drivers accepted here)

iii - - Though it maybe possible to use a trick. . . . Say, use Partition Magic or other partitioning-software to delete that new hard-drive. . . . Meaning, to make it unformatted, and thus invisible to Windows. . . . . Then, use a Windows based OS-cloning software to clone the OS of SCSI-1 over into the unformated SCSI-2 hard-drive

Relative to (b), per Dan Goodell, he is suggesting to unplug the original SCSI-1 hard-drive before allowing the computer to boot into this newly cloned OS on SCSI-2 hard-drive

So, I re-did the OS-Cloning following Dan Goodell's advice. . . . 1) I deleted the formatting of SCSI-2, so that it became unallocated space, now no longer visible to the WinXP on SCSI-1, but still physically connected within the computer . . . 2) I then OS-cloned WinXP (with blue desktop) on SCSI-1 over onto SCSI-2, making the new WinXP on SCSI-2 active. . . . 3) I shut the computer down, and unplugged the ribbon cable to SCSI-1. . . . 4) I booted-up, thereby going into WinXP on SCSI-2 which read correctly as the C-drive. . . . 5) Next changed the desktop to green on SCSI-2, so that I could easily tell at a glance what WinXP that I had booted-into . . . . 6) Next right-click and changed the drive name in Windows Explorer to.WinXP-SCSI-2, as it was OS-cloned over as #1 . . . 7i) Next shut down, re-connected SCSI-1 ribbon cable, rebooted, and it automatically entered the WinXP on SCSI-1

To get my computer bootup to show the choices
    - - - WinXP Pro SP2 Blue
    - - - WinXP Pro SP2 Green
    - - - WinXP Recovery Console
    Where default is the Blue (after 10 seconds)
    With Up-Down arrows switching choices

I used the WinXP-SP2 Recovery Console
    - - Run Start-Help on how to install and use this
    - - In particular the bootcfg command
    - - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=317521
    - - Use the command . . bootcfg help . . to activate the help list
    - - Use the command . . bootcfg /rebuild or bootcfg /add

Note - Adding the new WinXP to the bootup list with bootcfg /rebuild, requires two more entries
    - - - Enter Load Identifier. . . . Type the description of the installation that you want displayed on the Startup menu. . . . For example, type Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - or type WinXP Pro SP2 Green - and then press ENTER.
    - - - Enter OS Load Options. . . . Type the operating system load options that you want.. . . . For example, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

A minor correction was needed . . . . When in WinXP on SCSI-1, I could not see the WinXP on SCSI-2. . . . Vice-versa, when in the WinXP on SCSI-2, I could see both WINXP's that were installed. . . . In WinXP on SCSI-1, I used a partition-software to simply hide the SCSI-2 WinXP - (it was already hidden to windows) - and then did a unhide (reboot was required) to eliminate the problem.

All is now okay. . . . With both SCSI-drives connected, I can boot into either WinXP as I choose. . . . . Or with any of the two SCSI hard-drives disconnected, I can boot into the one still connected

When all done, I checked the Boot.ini file on WinXP SCSI-1
    It read - - -
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro SP2 Blue" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro SP2 Green" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="WinXP Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Next task, after some resting, is to add still another WinXP on a EIDE hard-drive connected as a slave on EIDE-Ch-3. . . . I will use this third WinXP simply as a backup should I have some crash or corruption on the SCSI WinXP's. . . . .When a SCSI WinXP goes bad, I prefer to make the corrections (or drive image recall) from some remote WinXP on my machine, even if I need to open the case to connect the cables to that third WinXP to do the recall . . . . . My system allows 4-SATA hard-drives, 8-EIDE devices, and 15-SCSI devices. . . . I usually have burners as masters on the EIDE channels, with removeable hard-drives as slaves. . . . My motherboard has had trouble in recognizing a stand-alone WinXP on any SATA hard-drive, but this may be because I need to update the MB's Bios, re-package the SATA drivers better, or perhaps re-do the WinXP SATA install more correctly

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005