1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Sasha387

Sasha387 Member

I have a t-bred XP2000+ on an ASRock K7VM4 Motherboard. I use DDR400 PC3200 RAM (256 Mb), Stock fan and heatsink and all of this in a Mini tower that just loves to get warm, and i run it at XP2600+ Spec. Is this unusual, freakish, or am i skating on thin ice. The system doesnt freeze or crash and i have run benchmark software to check stability. The clock speed is up to 2124.78 MHz from the standard 1600 MHz.
    Temp sits on 56 degrees celcius. Praetor, is this unheard of?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good overclock specs but they seem a little too high for the proc. You seem to have something right if it's stable especially after having given it a heavyload without problems. Could you give us a CPUID screen shot?

3. Sasha387

Sasha387 Member

No idea how to post a picture im sorry. If someone could give me a detailed description it would greatly be appreciated. Or feel free to contact me at scooterman387@hotmail.com for a screenshot of my recent success in bumping up the clock speed on my XP2000+.
    I feel a substantial gain has been attained ( 500MHz ) and would like to know if anyone has gone higher without any system glitches.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sasha387

It's a bit involved but first go here and download screen grab Pro. Next you will have to upload it to a website or somewhere on the net where it will have a URL. Once that done, right click on the image and copy the URL. Reply to this thread and copy and paste the image between [img and /img]you'll need brackets on the inside too and it will show up. You can practice this by going to any web site and find an image to experiment with.

http://www.traction-software.co.uk/screengrabpro/index.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I thought the standard was 1.67Ghz for XP2000..... *checks* it is.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor it is, so I would like to know how he got it to XP2600+ specs.

7. IceMS

IceMS Member

it's 12.5x166 2600+ , isn't it? so it's 2075, pretty easy to achive. i'm running 10.0x203 at the moment, it's "only" 2030, but everything's faster then with 2600x OC and the CPU temp. is lower.

8. IceMS

IceMS Member

one good advice - upgrade your BIOS. I did that a couple of days before and were able to get my CL3 2-3-6 memory run @ CL2.5 2-2-6 with and also i can run OCed CPU with much lower voltage (1.85V before upgrade, 1.7V now - 203MHzx10)

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't need a screen shot of CPUID. You are at the top of any overclock I've heard of for that CPU. Met a person who claimed to get it to a XP2700 + once but it seems rather high to me unless he was using some unique cooling solution.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  10. Sasha387

Sasha387 Member

2285.4 Mhz Clock

If this is easily achieved then i guess it makes sense to buy a XP2000+ CPU then doesnt it seeing as they overclock so well. And for the sarcastic ones ( i need not mention any names as you know you are) i have bumped up the clock speed to 2285.4 MHz. Big whoop, and it runs fine with games and the odd benchmark. If thats not XP3000+ standard then i dont know what is.

11. Praetor

It's not THAT big of a leap... he is using a Tbred (as opposed to the Palo) so it's perfectly "normal" to hit 500Mhz OCs. 650Mhz OCs are possible on the Mobile versions of those chips.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sasha387

Thanks for your info, you have a good chip running at the top of its game. I've heard of less fortunate attempts so I think you should be very happy with the results. Not everyone is going to have your good fortune.

13. chatgros

chatgros Guest

ASRock K7S8X PC3200
    AMD Athlon XP 2000 +

I was surprised to see that the shop which sold me the MB/CPU combo had set it for 133mHz x 12.5. Isn't this processor a 266 mHz FSB? Shouldn't the setting be at least 266 mHz x about 6 for best results?

What, simply, please is the significant difference between a processor at 1.67 mHz and one over clocked to, say, 1.8?

Thanks

14. Praetor

The FSB is 266 .... the clock is still 133. FSB ... clock ... two different things :) clock + DDR = FSB :)

15. YankInOZ

YankInOZ Member

FSB rating is related to D(ouble) D(ata) R(ate) RAM. The FSB clock for DDR266 is 133MHz, but the RAM is able to transfer data on both the leading and trailing edges of the clock, effectively doubling the clock's speed. A 200MHz FSB clock is just about the fastest available, without overclocking, and DDR gives it an effective speed of 400MHz. So, you would need DDR400 for it. Some mobos have dual channel, which doubles the base clock again, up to 800MHz. So, in answer to your question, CPUs usually have locked multiplier ratios, in this case 12.5x. And if you can unlock your CPU's ratio, the best you might expect to do is 196MHz or 208MHz with a ratio of 8.5x or 8x, keeping the CPU clock at a constant 1.667GHz.

Which gets back to a question I asked a while back that I don't think was ever answered. Can you unlock a Palomino XP2000 by just dropping a wire(s) into the ZIF socket (like you can with a Thoroughbred XP2000), or do you have to do everything on the chip itself? And if you can do the wire trick, which holes in the ZIF are used?

You may get a linear increase in performance by the ratio of 1.8/1.67, about 7.8%, provided all other components can keep up with the higher speed. Probably 7.8% increase is not too much. But, just FYI I once jacked up a 486DX2 from 66MHz to 80MHz by substituting a 40MHz clock crystal for the original 33MHz crystal. It still ran, but it actually slowed things down.

16. Jinxs

Jinxs Member

I have an Aopen ak79d-400vn with Xp 2000+ clocked to 2228.3 with stock f/hs...

17. YankInOZ

YankInOZ Member

How about this? Anybody got input on it? Try it by specifying only the chip (Athlon, Thoroughbred, or Barton), the multiplier section as Unlock - Multi via BIOS, and try the FSB as 133 MHz, 166 MHz, or 200 MHz.
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Also
    I could have added a little more detail for clarity. The FSB is the physical connection between the CPU and RAM. I have seen its speed represented either by clock rate or (the clock x2 or x4) data transfer rate, including ASUS who defined it by data rate in their manual, and then when you go to apply the manual instructions in the BIOS, you find out it's clock rate over there.

Thus, one guy's 200FSB (where the first one's talking clock rate) is identical to another's 800FSB (where the second's talking dual channel, DDR).

18. Blytz

Blytz Guest

I want to overclock my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Thoroughbred but when i went into my bios to change the fsb the computer wouldn't let me highlight it to do anything. Anybody got any idea's on how to get past this. You probaly have all covered this on the forum a couple of pages ago but iv just joined and haven't read most of the comments yet. Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks!!!

19. YankInOZ

YankInOZ Member

You may have to change another field first. For example, my Albatron 1800D board uses the Pheonix/Award BIOS, and inside the BIOS you must set the "Advanced Chipset Features / System Performance" from "Optimal (default)" to "Aggressive/Turbo" for overclocked settings, or to "Expert" for full customization of performance options. Only after you change the System Performance off of Optimal, do the other fields, such as those pertaining to the CPU, become editable.

20. SirFrench

SirFrench Member

It may be that your bios doesn't support overclocking, i have a Matsonics MS8157E board that has an older Amibios on it that provides no overclocking features (hence the reason i put it in my partners machine), and set's all frequencies automatically, so you can read them, but you cannot alter them. The best way round this, in my opinion is to change the board itself. If you're looking for a fast and easy way to OC, use a gigabyte board, they come bundled with Easy Tune 4 software, this is a windows based application, it's a good way to understand the limits of your PC and it's components, although if you use MBM5 (motherboard moniter) it screws up ET4, and gives bogus readings!!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Athlon XP 2000 T-Bred OC'd to 2200 (1813mhz)@145mhz
    Gigabyte KVT700 1394
    Akasa AK795 XP3200+ copper base HS
    512mb Samsung PC2100
    Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 128DDR
    160Gb(4 x ST340014A 40Gb)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004