1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hk2npck, Feb 21, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

I have a 2.4C that I have currently running at 3GHZ (250 FSB). The ram is running at 200 (which is what it is rated for) My temps are idle at 34C, stressed at 52C. These were the temps I had when it was running at 2.4. Do you think this is shortening the life of my processor, even when the temps are still normal?

2. Mufasa33

Mufasa33 Member

I'd have to say that you should be fine. If the temperatures remain the same and you never get any warnings you're probably all right. I wouldn't worry about it too much...plus your running ur RAM and the recomended speed. If you start to get warnings (which is probably highly unlikey) then change it back. O and by the way ur cp is kick @$$.

3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

The information of the computer displayed at the bottom previously was of a differnet computer...the new one is my new computer, I am going to use it as a game server. I want it to last at least 5 years, but overclocking significantly shortens lifespan. You think I sould go back to 2.4?

4. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

As long as you're only doing fsb overclocking, you should have no problems, when you start doing voltage overclocks, then the lifespan of your cpu is significantly shortened.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

overclocking is there a good site were to learn this stuff?....also I was reading scan the other day and they had water coolers are they for cpu's that have been highly over clocked?
    DaOsT

6. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Since we are talking about OC'ing. I have a MSI geforce 4 Ti-4200 64Mb. What is a good speed to OC with stock cooling? Im currently at 275/554 from 250/500 default. Im scared to go higher fearing that Ill just fry my card in a few months. My case has a fan on the side that pulls air out and i took a fan out of my XBOX and put it on the inside to cool off the card as well.

I know i can get up to 300/600 before i start to see artifacts and defects, but I think might be frying the card.

7. Shad

Shad Regular member

If you need ANYTHING about computers whether its building a computer or using a program then WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM is the best site to visit.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

For that 34C is really good. You could propally click it up to 3.2Ghz and still be ok. But that most likely wouldnt be noticeable. As long as your are below 40 to 42C you should be all good. I don't exactly know what it is but at 42C for long periods of time, it can affect solder points. So that is something to consider. Also when you list 34C is that the processor or the temp in the box or the computer reported temp? The best thing to do is go to a dollar store, buy a small thermometer and tape it inside your box. I don't trust programs, and you should know the box temperature as well. I also like to leave the side pannel off to get more air in. But you can customize as you want.

9. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

well, that is one thing i should have mentioned. When I check up the temperature it reports in the bios, it reports as usually 3-4 degrees higher than the windows program reports. (the 34C is from the program) and you leave the case open?!?! doesnt that make for a very dusty computer?

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Not really, I have always left the case open. The funny thing is I thing that makes it less dusty. I had a 386, that we always left the case on and it was filled with dust. My P200, is not bad at all and the case has been off for four years now.
    If you are really worred about heat, you can add some extra fans to blow air accross the board. Very few computer actually use the fan junction spot on the mother board. You can easily wire up a fan and connect it to that spot for power. On my moms hunk of junk, I extendend the life when the fan broke on the power supply with three fans all wired to the same fan port on the mother board. But for very hot systems, just buy a bar fridge and put your computer inside. That is the cheapest method by far and you can overclock a 386 by 10fold (25Mhz to 200Mhz).

11. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

I have one more question. I have been told that fluorescent lights are bad for computer components. Is this true? I usually lay my computer out on a desk that is below a ceiling light (fluorescent) should I be concerned?

BTW. I just got a new upgrade! An ATI 9600! I had a geforce 3 TI200, planning to sell that (probably about 40, if im lucky) and got the 9600 for just 60 dollars, used from a friend. Thats a pretty hefty upgrade for just 20 dollars.

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No, you don`t have to worry about office over head lights. What you might be hearing is people that put fluorescent lights inside the case, you get weird glowing moster effects. This can effect some things depending on the age and what grade components you have. The Some boards still use the old Uv erase Rom chips. these are really cool, you load the software and take a black marker and write over the chip. When you want to upgrade it, you wip it clean with ethanol and flash it with a Uv light. But mainly science equipement has this as some instruments do need updates to the rom chips that run the software. I don`t known of too many general chips that use this type of tech. But you never know, and I think fluorescent lights in the case looks stupid. But I did see a good PC that was in the shape of an airplane.

ATI 9600 are nice, I just read the specs on the 9800. There crazy, with 256Mb on board and require a power connection off your power supply. My old P200Mhz with 2Mb of ram feals jelous, but it has a new 5.25 drive on it now (sort of new).

13. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

ahh.... come on... lights in cases are fun.. just gotta do it right and complement the whole setup with a nice desk too...

hehe.. just my .02..

14. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Okay well here goes, here are the parts to my new PC and need some help with OC issues (this is mostly copied and pasted from somewhere else so if it is weird let me know).

1. Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    2. P4 3.2 512 cache 800 mhz
    3. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
    4. Corsair CMX512-4400PT DDR550 XMS4400 x 2 (1 gig total)
    5. Lapped Zalman CNPS7000A-CU Full Copper HSU
    6. Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
    7. Antec True Control 550
    8. Chieftec Case (Really Antec Soho File Server) with 4 case fans
    9. 1 x 80 gig and 1 x 120 gig. Both WD 8meg 7200 rpm

I have never OC'ed nor dealt with memory timings etc. I don't really have to OC it but I would like to have it tuned to it's full/best potential. I.E. what would be the best settings for the ram timings, fsb for the P4 if OC'ed, voltage power (core), multipliers and would it affect me having to OC my Radeon etc. etc. etc.

I am not a novice when it comes to PC's but am neither an expert, so any info is greatly appreciated. I have heard the ram is overkill and is kinda slow (timing wise) but I got a good deal on them so I couldn't pass it up, plus I hope to get close to the 550 Mhz claims (if possible with my setup unless I am incorrect with my research/info). I think that is the main jist of my situation is I would like to OC to 4 ghz because of the ram but don't want to mess with voltages really.

Some more clarification as to the hardware and some stats.

a) Zalman CNPS7000A-CU http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000a-cu.htm

b) Corsair CMX512-4400PT DDR550 XMS4400 x 2
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx512-4400.pdf

c) I just did an Aida32 test and my ram is at 275 x 2 = 550 so that is cool. I have it as SPD in bios

d) My PC temps are as follows a total of say 3 hours on (play CS 1.6 for maybe 20 minutes of that) My temp's show CPU 25c & Case 28c. This is about the usual temp I have minded the past couple of days since it has been running. The highest I have seen it after CS'ing for a a while was 36c.

*Edit*

I just did a CPU-Z test and it says my ram is running at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 199.9 mhz. I will go into my bios to see what I can do. After some research I read that lower is better for the timmings but it's better to have higher mhz over lower timing numbers???? I guess I'll wait to mess with the bios settings for the timings.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Please Search before posting http://forums.afterdawn.com/search . Here is my PS2 Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/small]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

hi Oner, I haven't seen you in a long time.
    I am not too familar with the new boards, but this guide is very clear step by step to improve your memory and timings:
    http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guides/voltage_mod/asus_p4c800-e/index.htm

The final page says:
    This should answer your question on Mhz versus timing.
    A good page on some general overclocking is:
    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu_mobo/asus/intel/i875p/p4c800e/p2.shtml
    This one has very similar setup as yours.
    Good luck!

16. Oner

Yeah I saw the voltage mod but am not really gonna go that far for OC'ing as I don't want an expensive paper weight lol! I can solder but wouldn't even try it to be safe. If it was a neccesity for the OC than I would but for now I just want my system tweaked for optimum performance even if my OC is only 600-800 mhz.

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya I know what you mean. The new electronic boards are really sensitive. You absolutely need a long nose pliers to act as heat sink to componets when soldering. Older stuff would allow you to be much more sloppyer. Good luch on the program view point.

18. Burnzilla

Burnzilla Regular member

Hey everyone,
    My friend got a AMD64 3200+, K8T800 mother board (deluxe), 1gig of ddr 400 ram, 120gig 133 ide HD and a Radeon 9800 se. Can you recommend the best way to OC the graphics card. It's fine for now but I told him it might be an issue come HL2 and Doom3. Thanks a million:)

19. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Just go to yahoo and search for "Overclocking Utilities for Radeon 9800 SE" their should be a few. Read up a little. Not that difficult. I love Ocing. Just got my FX5900. Only Oc'ed it about 8 or 9 percent, but makes difference.

20. Oner