1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 -CANNOT READ DISK - time to pack it in?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by pete2112, Feb 23, 2009.

1. pete2112

pete2112 Member

I have a Panasonic DMR-E55 dvd recorder- purchased new in the Fall of 2004. This recorder is about 4 1/2 years old. It just started acting up.
    I'll put in a backed-up dvd and with greater frequency over the past few months will get the message "Cannot Read Disk".

Just tonight I was recording a show and finalized the disk. It semmed to take a very long time, the progress bar seemed 'stuck' just as it appeared to be complete, and I heard the 'gears' working in the machine itself as if the laser was searching for something?
    I got the normal message "disk is only available for playback" but then got the "Cannot Read Disk" message.
    I then tried some other burned disks and each one came up with the same message - "Cannot Read Disk". And these are disks that I know are fine and the machine previously read.

The odd thing is that the machine read a store bought DVD.

The error message "Cannot Read Disk" has been occurring more frequently in the past few months - either with a burned DVD or a blank DVD (I always use the proper media - when new, the machine never had a problem reading media).

What could be going on it?

Could it be fixable?

Or should I just buy a new one and finally toss this one?

Even if I toss it, I'm still curious as to why there has been an increase in the error messages.

Thanks for any help,

Peter

2. its_live

its_live Member

i am having the same problem as pete2112, except my panny is a DMR-E80H. i've had it for almost 5 yrs and all of a sudden now it won't read blank DVD-Rs. it won't play other discs i've burned on it either, but it will play regular store bought dvds. it's pretty strange...just happened over night. i tried the whole unplugging thing and even cleaned the spindle inside since i had read it might do the trick. still nothing. i tried playing a few dvd-rams i had and most wouldn't play but one played perfectly. i find it all very odd how it decides to play some things but not others. anyone have any suggestions/answers? hopefully so, but i see the thread was started 2 months ago and no one answered so far. i'm keeping my fingers closed until i am forced to buy a new one :(

3. burninmad

burninmad Member

Check my new thread on Panasonic DMREZ37V,a April 2007(mfd.)unit!Title: is "Panasonic DMREZ37V twice to factory service" The first time to Panasonic was to upgrade software,second a "new" DVD drive.At first I tried every brand I could buy for 50 miles.They said"Try one of the "smaller" spindles or 10 packs:No Good! Then they asked: "How&where do you store your blank DVDs?"Then I got 10 packs,etc.,to no avail.But like you said it would play a commercial DVD!The "new" DVD Drive they installed works without errors.Unlike its predecessor drive,so far ,so good!Even the old DVD blanks that had "Disc Error.Unsupportable disc,etc.This was less than a year old too! I hope I get the time yiou got.