1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc case modding

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hawk2196, Jun 8, 2007.

1. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

ok i wasnt sure where the hell to put thit thread so i just threw it in here.
    ok. i have an hp a767c
    [​IMG]
    shitty picture i know but it was the only one i could find atm
    .....the point is, im looking to add like 4 80mm fans to the side along with a Plexi-glass window and strobing led lights.
    im going to try and go with a black and blue color scheme.
    if you look at the pic, everywhere that is silver, will be painted black

i have a bunch of problems with doing all this though.
    (in no particular order)
    1) i want the fans mounted on the metal part of the side pannel, meaning i cant just put a dot on the plexi and drill, so whats a good and fairly easy way to drill the wholes to mount the fans?

2) im not quite sure yet what kind of design i wanted to go with on the side panel. i want something with its own unique look, so any input will help.

3) im not quite sure how to actually mount the plexiglass.

4) im only 17 and fairly inexperienced with with things of this nature and caliber

I WILL UPDATE THIS LATTER WHEN I CAN TAKE PICTURES OF MY CASE

if you would like to help me off of afterdawn....i have aim and xfire
    the screen name for both is: hawk2196

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why 4 fans as it knocks out the air flow balance? why not a 120mm fan? do you have a drill with drill bits & a jig saw with metal cutting blade(s)?

3. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

i wanted to use 80mm's because i thought it looked kind of cool and i was going to put funnels on one or two of the fans to get air directly to my video card,hard drive, and processor. but it would look uneven with just 3 fans so i was going to add the fourth.if a 120mm would help cool everything down better than the 4 80mm's i'll definitly switch to trying out a 120
    but,yeah i have a drill and drill bits( nothing big enough for a 120mm though) and i have a jigsaw too

4. ddp

does the case have options to put more fans in like in the front & back? if using a 120mm fan then get a fan guard which you can also get for the 80mm fans. you will use the drill bit just bigger then the steel cutting blade of the jigsaw to make a pilot hole in the waste material where the fan hole will be. decide which fan size you'll go with before continuing & you'll also need a metal file or deburring tool to get rid of the burr from the drill bit & jigsaw.

5. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

im kind of confuse with what you mean
    the case only has one fan in it, a 92mm in the back,and no other places for other fans
    by a fan guard you mean one of these right?
    [​IMG]
    instead of a file, i was going to use a dremel

6. ddp

the guard yes & the dremel is ok. need a pilot hole which the drill bit will do so can get the steel cutting blade in to cut out the metal for the fan opening. do the hole to the diameter of the fan blade diameter. will also need 4 holes for the screws to go thru to hold the guard & fan to the side panel. layout masking tape over the area where the fan goes to mark your circle for the fan hole & 4 screw holes.

7. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

so you recommend cutting the whole out not just drilling then sanding/filing? i was just going to drill a little smaller than the fan blades and then sand a little because im horrible at cutting circles with a saw. as for making sure the holes to mount the fans is in th right spot, any tips?
    oh, and i was also looking to make custom fan guards but im not quits sure how. i was going to use the x part of a normal fan guard and add aluminum or something to it via solder.

8. ddp

put all your marks on the masking tape including the 4 holes for mounting the guard & fan. the fan blades for a 120mm fan is about 100mm in diameter so are you going to grind to that point?

9. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

i decided to use 80mm fans because it will be easier for me to manage making the holes, because i have a door knob drill bit, and its the perfect size.and i thought I'd spell my nick name in the fan guards and I'm not quite sure if I'd have enough room on a 120, rather than one letter per 80mm.along with the fact that at the moment i don't own a 120mm fan to trace out,and i want to get this done as soon as i can because the case I'm using now is huge,heavy,and ugly.

10. ddp

no problem.

11. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

ok,well that just leaves me to my next problem, how to mount the plexiglass side window

12. ddp

with screws, lock washers & nuts.

13. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

14. hawk2196

hawk2196 Member

well,i'll try to post some pics when im done with it all

15. ddp