1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc keeps freezing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by beef815, May 20, 2012.

1. beef815

beef815 Member

So I have a fresh build with a new install of windows7 ultimate. I'm using a xfx 750i sli mono, an e8400 processor, evga gtx460se video card, 4 gigs of corsair xms2 ddr2 ram, raidmax rx500s power supply, and a 250gb Sara hard drive. When I first built the system, I could go into windows and do whatever I wanted. Two days later, it freezes at the windows is stArting screen. I've removed a stick of ram, switched the sticks around, doubl checked the wiring, it still freezes. The fans keep running and the hd light feels flashing. I really need some advice. Thanx in advance

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

So you can't boot in to Windows properly at all? What about safe mode?

What sort of "freeze" is it - does the computer BSOD, kind of stutter and freeze, etc?

Go into BIOS when you boot up and see how hot the CPU is running.

3. beef815

beef815 Member

The hottest the CPU has gotten was 43c after a while of use. No bsod just a locked screen. The fans all still run, just can't do anything except a hard reset. I can't even turn caps lock on. Every once in a while it will load into windows, but when I start downloading something, it just freezes.. No stuttering, just a locked screen. The CPU I running at 34c

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. beef815

beef815 Member

Anyone? Please help me. I'm at my wits end.

5. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Have you tried scanning with malwarebytes or Superantispyware.maybe it is infected with something.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm not sure to be honest. If you have your Windows discs, perhaps try repairing the install? Something might have become corrupted. You could also try booting off the install disc to run 'chkdsk' in the recovery console (I think that's possible).

I'd be inclined to suggest faulty hardware somewhere along the way though, potentially HDD or RAM.

So you experience this freeze up with both sticks of RAM used independently of one another?

7. beef815

beef815 Member

I've tried in every dimm slot and indipendent with each stick. I knew the hdd was good, I had it in another build I had. I formatted the hdd an did a clean install of windows7 ultimate. I cant runn any tests, because the pc almost never gets to windows. I tried running memtest yesterday and it got to 15 min and it froze at 87% wint no errors. I'll try to use the install disk to repair. If that don't work I'll try a new install of windows. If that doesn't work I'll buy some new ram tomorrow. Thanx for the help.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

So you had memtest on a CD, booted from it, ran to 87% and your PC locked up even then?

I'm running out of suggestions off-hand, sorry. Let us know how you get on.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another sata cable in another sata port for the hard drive tho i don't think that will work or work for long. does that motherboard have an ide connector & do you have or can borrow an ide drive to see if windows installs & operate? the reason i ask about the ide as ran into same problem with a customer & ended up replacing his sata hard drive with ide as sata controller was crapping out. i had replaced ram, sata hd with sata hd & psu til it showed error of sata hd not found. replaced sata hd with ide hd & has been running for 3+ years with no issues like before.

10. beef815

beef815 Member

Ripper- exactly. It just locked up. No button on the key oars would do anything and the timer froze. Ddp- ill give it a try. I tried to repair wi does with my windows 7 disc. Startup repair didn't fix anything. So I reinstalled window with a reformating. It let me log in to wi does and get online for ten mInutes and froze again. Restart and licks back uP at the windows starting screen. I'll try like you said n see what happens. Thanx

11. beef815

beef815 Member

So today started messing with the pc again. Got it to boot into safe mode a couple of times after I switched the Sata port. Tried 5 times boot in safe mode. Even played a couple if vids on YouTube after I dl flash player. It still will not load regular windows. I'm going to change the CMOS battery just because I have one. Any ideas on what I need to do or what's wrong. Any advice is appreciated. Thanx again for all the help guys

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

When you're in safe mode temporarily, can you get in to device manager and see if it reports any errors with the SATA channels (yellow error triangles)?

Have you managed to try with an IDE drive? Perhaps you could use a converter to hook your SATA drive/cable up to one of the IDE channels - it would be easier, if you're certain the HDD/cable aren't to blame.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  13. beef815

beef815 Member

Nothing has an error. I used the h/d and cable in a older build I did and it worked fine.. I started the pc with a fresh copy of windows. I can buy an adapter. Take a couple of days to get here. I just don't understand what the problem is. Never had this problem before.

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Perhaps you got a faulty motherboard. Have you tried another PSU, just because?

Presumably replacing the CMOS battery and consequently resetting the BIOS didn't fix anything?

15. beef815

beef815 Member

Replacing the battery didn't fix it. I've got another power supply, but it's older and doesnt have any 6 or 8 pin power plugs and I need both. I'm thinking it the mobo, but I need to try everything before I try n return it

16. beef815

beef815 Member

The thing that I don't understand is why I can go into safe mode n everything works fine, but I can't load windows

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

windows is screwed up from what is going on. happened with me with the customer's faulty sata controller. did a reload of windows then found out eventually it was sata controller so cloned sata to ide before sata totally crapped out & didn't have to reload windows all over again. cmos battery will not fix the problem.

18. beef815

beef815 Member

I'm going to pick up an IDE h/d today. I'll let u guys know how it goes later