1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Memory Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dpsa98, Oct 16, 2007.

1. dpsa98

dpsa98 Member

I have a computer that uses ddr2 memory and right now I have 2 - 512mb sticks. I have a new memory stick that is a 1gb memory stick. Do I need to order another 1gb memory stick for the one I have to work or can I just use the 1gb stick by itself? Or can I use the 1gb stick with one of the 512mh sticks also?

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

how many ram slots? 2,3 or 4. to use the double data rate the 1gb stick needs to be paired with another 1gb stick to work. it can be paired with 1 of the 512 sticks but won't work to spec. a general rule of thumb is to pair up your sticks of memory. same mfg., same model, etc, etc. this way you have less headaches.

3. dpsa98

dpsa98 Member

I have 4 ram slots but only 2 of them are for ddr2 ram the other 2 are for just plain old ddr ram. I was only able to get the one stick of ram. If I pair it up with the 512 will it perform better than the 2 512 sticks I have now or should I just try and get another stick that is exactly the same before even attempting to use it?

Thank you