1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kidchris, Jun 6, 2007.

1. kidchris

kidchris Member

Hey

yesterday I was on my PC for a while. I went downstairs for a second and when I came back, it was off. I unplugged, then replugged it back in, and the green light came on, but it didn't start up. I smelled a wierd smell from it as I looked inside to see what's wrong.

I took the main connecter from the power supply, and took it off of the motherboard, and the green light shut off; I put it back on, and it came back on, but still didn't start.

What do you suppose is wrong with it?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I bet it wouldn't! Sounds like something burned out. I don't think you're going to get any closer than that on here.

By the way, disconnecting & reconnecting the power connector from the motherboard while the power is on is a great way to kill it, if it isn't dead already.

The motherboard is most likely junk, and so probably are the CPU and RAM.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do a smell test to locate where the smell came from as in psu or motherboard. look at the can shaped objects on the motherboard which are capacitors & see if they are flat topped & not domed.