1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Restarting when playing games...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Jul 3, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

Have a pc of quite recent build. E6400 @ 3ghz, 1gb ddr 800ram, 7600gt graphics, 600w psu. Lately its started to reset during gameplay, the temps seem to be fine though, haven't seen anything rise above 47 C in speed fan, although I do not have much experience with temperature readings and do not know if this is a reliable reading.

It doesn't hang or give an error or anything, just restarts as if I'd pressed the reset button on the case.

Thanks

2. Masajes

Masajes Member

47 C is HOT. Try checking if all of your case's fans are running. You should have AT LEAST 4 fans perfectly working.
    What's the PSU brand?

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

As far as I know 47 is no where near "HOT", shut down is usually around 70 isn't it. I've heard many times that below 60 is fine.

I have 2 case fans that are running fine, one is blowing air into the case over the gpu and the other is an exhaust near the cpu. Why do you think I would need "AT LEAST 4 fans"? The gpu hsf and the cpu hsf and both working fine and correctly seated.

The psu is branded but I don't remember what brand, the label is facing the other way. Supercool or something like that.

4. Masajes

Masajes Member

You said "during gameplay". How many games have you tried? What games?
    Please reboot your computer and enter its BIOS, go to hardware monitor and check the voltage of your PSU.
    This could be one of 2 reasons:
    1) Software/Hardware conflict (windows problem, game problem, vcard problem).
    2) PSU problem.

Im guessing it could be number 2).

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Masajes, 47c is not hot for the cpu or even videocard.

LDee, next time it does a restart look in the bios under hardware monitor or something like that to see if cpu temp corresponds with speedfan. the fact it happens in gaming points to the videocard so see what it's temp is. how many fans total in the case?

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for your replies.

I will have a look in the bios hardware monitor section next time. Thing about that is, obviously I can't check that against the speed fan readings at the same time, so, will it tell us much?

Should I check the bios readings then boot straight away and get the speedfan readings as quick as possible? (Isn't there a tool so you can see your bios in real time from windows? I guess I could with virtual pc or vmware.)

Like I said before I'm not very experienced when it comes to temp readings and stuff, does the gpu temp show up in speedfan? If not can I make it show there? Or is there something I can download to get this?

In total there are, one 120mm fan on the side of the case, one smaller fan at the back, then one fan each on the graphics and cpu and lastly the fan in the psu. So in total there would be 5 fans in the case, but only 2 are standalone fans.

7. LDee

LDee Regular member

I checked all the cabling and that all the hsf were seated correctly and I vaccumed all the dust out from everywhere but it's still restrating at times.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Dont use a vacum!!!! It creates static electricity that can easily fry any pc component! You should use just a can of compressed air.

9. LDee

LDee Regular member

Really? lol, oops, ok I'll remember that, thanks.

Seems to be working fine since then apart from the restarts.

10. j0nny

j0nny Guest

Ive got the exact same problem mate. When i play games it will tend to freeze and then restart by itself.

Ive replaced the PSU from 350w to a 700w but still same.

Im using a slow 5400rpm ide hard drive so i was thinking that maybe why so ive bought a scsi ultra160 setup with a 15000rpm speed hard drive. When i get it i will give it a try and if it doesnt stop the restarting then it looks more than likely to be the graphics. Im using onboard intel 945 128mb gpu.

I will update once tested.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  11. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

try looking in your event viewer for what is causing it to restart
    thats start rightclick my computer manage event viewer look for red circles

12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I think it's your graphics card.... I've got a nvidia 6800GS and if I play any game such as battlefield 2 etc, and I dont have the fans spinning at above 80% then the game crashes... But my pc doesnt restart.

13. j0nny

j0nny Guest

I ran the computer again with the same game (fifa 07) which requires 64mb graphics and when it froze and restarted i put my ear to the hard drive and it shuts itself down completely (power cuts out).

When the pc is at the desktop again, i press the reset button at the front of the pc to see if same thing happens, i listen to the hard drive and the power does NOT cut out! so it looks like the hard drive struggles loading the data in game.

In my view its the hard drive thats at fault, due to rpm speed? or the general age of it are to be considered, but for sure the PSU is fine as i have replaced mine with a new more powerful model.

@ LDee

Does your hard drive power cut out the same as myself when it restarts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  14. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

I have an Intel 3.0 Prescott (preshot) Core 800 FSB and it runs about 53-55C when im not doing anything. The computer does over heat but thats caused by the previous owner and his idiotic wire management. Im going to buy a new case and new cpu cooler which will fix the problem.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

why dont you take some cable ties and fix up the wires in the case?

16. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

get some new thermal paste arctic silver 5 thumbs up!!

17. LDee

LDee Regular member

I don't know if the hard drive completely loses power or not, however I did suspect the hard drive because it's the hottest thing in the case, this is confirmed by speedfans readings too.

I will investigate the hard drive issue and post back when I have some results.

18. rampage2

rampage2 Member

Hi, just read the post. I have the same problem: I leave the pc on 24/7 without a problem with every application but when I try to play a game (any game!)it resets my pc. i have a MB ASUS P5B with a Dual Core 6600 processor 2gb of ram and the graphic card is an ASUS 8600GT. I think I tried everything : all the stability tests from the Nvidia control panel are fine. Only GPU test is resetting the pc after 6/7 minutes . I tried to change and re-install the nvidia drivers but no way.
    It shouldn't be a temperature prob because the panel of the P5B it says 51° for the processor and 49° for the MB. I also tried to change the video card putting a 7600GT but it does the same
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ramp

19. LDee

LDee Regular member

I have the mx-1 paste, which is meant to be good.

It's still restarting when playing games only, like rampage2. I've also updated the graphics driver, no difference. The hsf on the graphics card doesn't even feel very hot. I dunno what else to try, sorry rampage can't help.

20. j0nny

j0nny Guest

I'm using the arctic silver 5 that jazbebies suggested above and i know the freezing and restarting cant be that for definate. Im sure its the hard drives fault overall as it does infact look like its failing in someway to control the data throughout.

@ rampage2

Try using another hard drive and possibly another data cable if you havnt already for now. When i get my new hard drive on thursday i will post up confirming whether the problem was infact the hard drive or not.