1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc wont boot

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by totty68, Jun 2, 2007.

1. totty68

totty68 Regular member

hi folks,,when i boot up my pc,,i get the diagnostics screen up,,all it shows is details of my processor,,blank till the bottom then the press delete to enter set up,,i have tried that,,cant even get far enough to boot from disc,have to turn it off manually
    p4 processor
    1.5g ram
    windows xp pro
    cheers in advance

2. britz660

britz660 Member

Well I am no expert at all, but I tend to look at boot up problems from the perspective of what it can't be. Obviously its not operating system related, nor is it hard disk related because its not letting you even look at the boot codes.

First question would be is are you getting any beep codes?

Secondly try to switch the ram around in different types of configuration... use one stick and try it in both slots then try the other stick in both slots .. but make sure you do each by themselves... that could rule out the ram as being the culprit (I doubt 2 sticks would fail)

I don't think its the processor because I can't imagine it would turn on if it was.

So if its not the ram your left with motherboard, I doubt its the PSU but ive been wrong before many of times.

Someone else can probably answer you better but thats a start i guess.

3. totty68

totty68 Regular member

cheers britz,,will post back when done ;-)